Search

10 days in Italy -- October

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2023, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days in Italy -- October

Hi everyone,
My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy for 10-12 days in the first week of October. We've been to Rome and Florence before, so I'm thinking of focusing on Northern Italy for this trip -- in no particular order, something like Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre/Italian Riviera, and perhaps Lake Como or Lake Garda if there's time? I'd love to see the Amalfi coast as well, but it seems like the travel time from north to south would be a lot, and so it might be a better idea to leave that for another time...

Any suggestions, ideas, or input are welcome! We'd prefer to travel by train (e.g., not fly) within Italy, and I'm sure I'm missing some great and easily accessible spots along the way.

Another factor to consider is that if we extend the trip to 12 days, my wife might need to do some light remote work -- so it would probably make sense to be in a place for the end of the trip where there is less sightseeing to do and more of a relaxed, hang-out vibe (with access to wifi).

Let me know what you think. Thanks so much in advance!

-J
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 06:18 PM

Unless you wanted to do a lot of hiking and preferred cooler weather for that, in October, I would do the Amalfi Coast and South: Naples, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Positano, Capri, etc. because the temperature is usually about 6 degrees warmer and it would be nicer for sitting and dining out. OTOH, I don’t know when most ferries stop running on the AC and I love being on the water there, so much nicer than sitting on a bus.
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jey221
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy for 10-12 days in the first week of October. We've been to Rome and Florence before, so I'm thinking of focusing on Northern Italy for this trip -- in no particular order, something like Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre/Italian Riviera, and perhaps Lake Como or Lake Garda if there's time? I'd love to see the Amalfi coast as well, but it seems like the travel time from north to south would be a lot, and so it might be a better idea to leave that for another time...

-J
In 12 days? Even if you ignore travel time. Potential jetlag. That's not going to be easy.

Personally I wouldn't schedule anything coastal/beachy/outdoorsy for October. Maybe you'll be lucky and the weather will be nice. Maybe you won't be and you'll get washed away by torrential rains. If it does rain are you going to be happy sitting inside watching it?

Then think about travel time.

Milan to Monterosso starts at three hours of train. Then to Venice better part of six. Add in the time to check out/in. Find the hotel in Venice. You've lost the whole day.
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 11:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
less is more
12days is nothing, it is 11 nights
I'd go south in October maybe try and do Sicily or Puglia

"Milan,
Venice,
Cinque Terre/Italian Riviera,
Lake Como or Lake Garda if there's time?
I'd love to see the Amalfi coast"

Frankly, something has to give from that list, or you have to extend. But more to the point what about all the little cities that right next to your targets.

Just taking Venice as a focus, Padova is just down the train track and is a https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1623/ why would you visit one without the other?

Old Feb 12th, 2023, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're focusing on Northern Italy, can you fly into Venice? There's lots to see and do there, you're a train ride from Verona and again from Lake Garda. Stay to the east of the region and 10 days will fly by. Head to Lake Garda first, 5 days at least, include a day trip Verona (that will be more than enough) and finish in Venice for the rest of the time.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO the first week of October is ok for visiting any of the lakes. We've been to Como and Garda in mid-to-late October and had cool but clear days. Hiking would probably be possible, although you didn't mention that as one of your interests.

But 10-12 days isn't very long for the distances you're contemplating, esp. if your wife will have to work a bit. Getting to/from one of the lakes and then seeing the sights could easily use up nearly half of your time. If it was my trip, I'd fly in/out of Venice and Bologna (either order), stay in both and day trip to Padova and Ravenna, maybe Verona and/or Modena. If you have 12 days/13 nights, perhaps stay a couple of nights in Ferrara.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 09:32 AM

Northern Italy in early October is gorgeous! Maybe focus on Milan, Torino and the Piedmont countryside. The colors in the vineyards and watching some grape harvesting (if you're lucky) can be unforgettable.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fly into Venice. Then train or fly to get to the Amalfi Coast.

Last edited by MichelleY; Feb 12th, 2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jangita
Northern Italy in early October is gorgeous! Maybe focus on Milan, Torino and the Piedmont countryside. The colors in the vineyards and watching some grape harvesting (if you're lucky) can be unforgettable.
Originally Posted by Jean
IMO the first week of October is ok for visiting any of the lakes. We've been to Como and Garda in mid-to-late October and had cool but clear days. Hiking would probably be possible, although you didn't mention that as one of your interests.

But 10-12 days isn't very long for the distances you're contemplating, esp. if your wife will have to work a bit. Getting to/from one of the lakes and then seeing the sights could easily use up nearly half of your time. If it was my trip, I'd fly in/out of Venice and Bologna (either order), stay in both and day trip to Padova and Ravenna, maybe Verona and/or Modena. If you have 12 days/13 nights, perhaps stay a couple of nights in Ferrara.
Thank you so much for this! FYI we'll be coming from elsewhere in the region, so hopefully we'll have kicked our jetlag by then