Notices

10 Days in Iceland

Apr 22nd, 2015, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

10 Days in Iceland

Hi all.
My mom and I have a trip planned to Iceland in early September. We'll be there for 10 days. We have airfare booked, but that's as far as we've gotten. We don't mind renting a car, but we're not too into doing the 10 day ring road tour. We'd like to base ourselves out of a few cities and tour out. Obviously there are several things to see in/around Reykjavik. Any highly recommended suggestions on day trips/tours from there? We were also looking at heading north for a few days, to the "West Coast", maybe as far north as the West Fjords. Is there a good town to base ourselves out of? We'd also like to go south, and were thinking of basing ourselves out of somewhere like Hofn? Any and all suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated. The scenery is the country, but we'd really like to see the glaciers and do some whale watching. Hotel recommendations would be wonderful too. My mom's not too keen with hostels/shared bathrooms, but places that include breakfast would be great. Thank you!
Apr 23rd, 2015, 04:27 PM

Hi!
I think that South Iceland is also really interesting with black beaches, Thingvellir, waterfalls and glaciers -
http://www.iceland24blog.com/2013/10...vel-guide.html
I actually suggest exploring the whole blog as it contains masses of useful information.
Whale watching is in Husavik, there are organized tours like http://www.visitaskja.com/#!whale-wa...-iceland/c19dr
If you decide to rent a car, Cars Iceland www.carsiceland.com is a very good company, you can even discuss your itinerary with them and get some tips.
Apr 27th, 2015, 07:24 AM

You need to rethink your plans. You don´t want to do the ring road tour in 10 days, but you do want to base yourself in Höfn and somewhere near the West Fjords.

Presumably you will start your drive from Reykjavik. The distance from Reykjavik to Höfn is 454 km. Thats a 900KM round trip. Then you want to go to the West Fjords. Just to get near the West Fjords is approx 200 KM from Reykjavik. Thats a 400 KM round trip.

1300 KM (approx) in total, not including diversions for attractions etc

The ring road is 1332 KM.

My advice? Stick to the South and East of Iceland and enjoy the country at a leisurely pace, and maybe do the West Fjords another time.
Apr 27th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. We're looking at renting an apartment in Reykavik and will go from there. I've found a couple of day trips up to the west. Perhaps we'll just do one of those.

Search this Thread