drive how far from GLA first day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, how far would be an okay amount of distance to drive after arriving on an overnight flight from eastern US to GLA? The driver does have repeat experience driving in UK, but still .. would you drive to Fort William right after a flight? Or is it a case of just b/c I think it's a bit crazy, it can be doable? (This isn't my own trip planning, but some friends.)
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 03:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's doable, but it's a fair way, around 100 miles and 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It depends on many variables, sleep etc to decide on the day whether it's a good idea.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 03:40 AM

It's doable, it depends largely on how fatigued you are when you land.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 04:25 AM

It also depends on the type of road. The A82 along the side of Loch Lomond (which you'd take on this journey) is a twisty, congested accident blackspot - especially in bad weather. I'd re-plan for somewhere closer to Glasgow airport for your first day. Why on earth do you want to go to Fort William anyway - it's a dump of a place?
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Since transatlantic flights into Glasgow all arrive in the early morning (unless one changes planes someplace) I'd feel okay heading off in that direction. However, I'd me more inclined to head west to Gourock (actually now a little west, at McInroy's Point) and ferry across to Dunoon on the Cowal Peninsula. http://www.western-ferries.co.uk/index.shtml

After the immigration, customs and car yoga at the airport, the short drive to Gourock followed by the fresh air on the ferry crossing (just 20 min.) would be easier than navigating the M8 and then the trafficky A82 along Loch Lomond, and by starting north from Dunoon (site of a former US Navy nuclear sub base - now gone) it's almost like "instant Highlands" as you drive along lovely Loch Eck and then Loch Fyne.

Personally, I'd aim for Inveraray for the first stopover - IMO a far lovelier place than Fort William; you could be there in time for a late lunch (maybe some local Loch Fyne oysters) followed by a stroll, maybe a walk-through at Inveraray Castle and an early evening back in the village. If the Fort William - Glencoe - Loch Ness - Skye tourist route is your target, you're well positioned to handle any of those destinations easily the next day, or (again, just beating a personal drum) you could head south from Inveraray to Kilmartin and its amazing prehistoric sites, then up the coast toward Oban and eventually Glencoe. Something along the lines of this map would be my preference... http://goo.gl/maps/rwX6b

Just personal opinion, of course, but something like this would put you bang into the western Highlands with a minimum of traffic and distractions, and, frankly a little off the beaten tourist path, and the communities rather more attractive than Fort William.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you have absolutely NO idea if it will be a restful flight and how you will feel on arrival I would not plan driving any farther than the west side of Loch Lomond (or not drive at all til the next day)

Someplace like Cameron House or Luss would be an easy drive from GLA and either place would be a lovely stop to chill before hitting the road the next day.

Now, I do have to fly all the way from the West Coast so it is longer . . . but sometimes I arrive feeling fine and other trips I am wasted and would be a danger on the road. Since you don't know which you will be don't plan a long drive - and definitely not all the way to Glencoe or Ft William.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 08:46 AM

"Since transatlantic flights into Glasgow all arrive in the early morning"

There is only one transatlantic flight to GLA, and it leaves from Nova Scotia. Poster's fiends are most likely arriving via Iceland at 10:40.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM

Oops, forgot about Newark, so there is one nonstop from USA to GLA.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 08:55 AM

Spend the day in the city - there's absolutely loads to do and the centre is compact enough and public transport good enough that you won't get exhausted seeing the sites. Lots of decent bars and eateries too - be a shame to miss out on those. Then pick your car up the following day and start your drive north a bit more refreshed.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally would do as RM67 suggests - but if you want to avoid the big city, then Cameron House is only about 15 or 16 miles from GLA.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 09:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Oops, forgot about Newark, so there is one nonstop from USA to GLA.</i>

US Airways (now AA) flies from Philly to GLA seasonally, arriving at 6:55 AM.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the feedback. I'm going to share this info. I hope it changes some minds.

It will be the morning flight from Iceland, and I don't know why the intent for Fort William, but it's also not my trip, so I'm not forcing myself into the planning, but I sure would like my friends to get a trip they enjoy!
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 11:52 AM

I always plan in that overnight in case for some reason my luggage is delayed.