Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days in Germany, Itinerary help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning on going on a 10 day trip next year (during the beginning part of May). I have been to Germany before (I did a trip through school visiting Munich, Prague, Budapest, Salzburg, and Vienna), and I absolutely loved it and have wanted to go back for so long. My husband has never been to Europe at all though, and I am very excited to share with him some of the places I have seen and visit new places together.

That being said, here is a breakdown of places I was considering, and what we hope to get from this trip (I understand we may not be able to do all of the below listed, but I am hoping some of you may have suggestions on which ones are best to visit in a short time):

-Salzburg would be great to do (even as a day trip)

-Neuschwanstein is a definite must

-Baden-baden for a spa day and/or the black forest

-Would love to see Rothenburg ob der Taube but thinking it's not feasible with everything else

-Any other palaces worth visiting

-We would like a mix of history and general sightseeing of the beautiful gardens, rivers, buildings etc.
-We are in our late 20s, like to walk, but there may be a possibility of my being pregnant at the time (so this would be a consideration of activities/food)

Also, any suggestions on if we should rent a car to do the driving or if we should take trains?

I greatly appreciate any and all help on this! Thank you!!
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Just some ideas off the top of my head:

A boat trip down the Rhine to Rudesheim and wine country.

Heidelberg.

Small, picturesque towns like Wertheim and Dinkelsbuhl.

Garmisch.

Germany is pretty car-friendly as far as a means of getting around. You might plan your trip so that you visit the larger cities and get to them via train, and then explore the smaller, out of the way places by car.
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 09:06 PM

Hi conton10,

I'm an American, and I live in Garmisch, and I don't have a car. It's absolutely more fun to use the train to get around rather than being isolated inside your own vehicle. Remember, too, that it's more green to use the trains -- scientists have said that the glaciers in Bavaria will be gone in a few decades. In most places in the world, you don't have a choice and must travel by car, but here where using public transport is such a good option, it seems a shame not to take advantage of it.

When going long-distance, you can get good fares by buying your tickets 2 or 3 months ahead of time. For local travel, you can use the local regional tickets, which work like a pass for travel for up to 5 people for one day.

I'm a small, 62-year-old woman, and I travel by train all the time, with luggage. It's relaxing and fun.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 03:26 AM

Just recently visited Dresden, Nuremberg (second time each) and Berlin (third time.) The first time was the Christmas market and this time we spent 4 days in Berlin and 3 days each in the other cities. Really enjoyed the beauty of each.

All three have much to offer and this was probably our sixth trip to Germany. Agree that Bavaria has much to offer but do not overlook all Germany. Planning our next visit to the Black Forest region in September.
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 04:59 AM

Your destinations and hundreds of other great Bavarian towns are accessible by train. You need a shuttle bus to N'stein from the local train station in Füssen. The rail map should convince you that Bavaria is well-served by train.

http://www.bayerwald-ticket.com/wp-c...ayern_2012.pdf
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone! All of your suggestions are wonderful, and greatly appreciated. I think we will be traveling by the train, based on everyone's high recommendations.
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 09:36 AM

Show him Munich.