Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days in France in April. Any day trip ideas from Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of four (including children aged 11 & 15) will be traveling to Paris for 10 days this April. We've secured our flights & Parisian hotel. We like to stay busy & see as much as possible even outside of Paris. We know we could spend weeks just exploring Paris but with limited time & kids who like to go I'd love to get day trip ideas. We're planning on London, perhaps Loire Valley, even Brussels. I know this isn't for everyone but we prefer to see a slice of many places if possible even if it means hours of travel. We'd like to stay in Paris but perhaps go South for a few days. Just starting to plan but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 04:16 PM
kja

You might try searching this forum, as there are MANY threads on day trips from Paris. here are some:
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...s-608590-2.cfm
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...ips-august.cfm

AND good day trips should be covered in any decent guidebook. I would strongly encourage you to get at least one -- the cost will be nominal in comparison to the cost of your trip, you will learn things you don't even know to ask, and you will have a wealth of information at your fingertips.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 05:59 PM

There is a book called An Hour From Paris by Annabel Simms that you might find helpful.

I just received as a gift the book Paris to the Past, Traveling Through French History by Train, by Ina Caro. Same idea..very interesting and both will inspire you to explore areas outside the city.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 06:30 PM

Along with the old threads, you might want to think about doing Provins as one of your day trips. I believe April is when they start doing their Medieval events, which might be fun for your kids.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 06:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Giverney, Monet’s home and gardens.Charters, Bayeux for WWII D-Day beaches. Mont St-Michel,
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much!
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 11:04 AM

There are literally hundreds of possibilities, and any good guidebook will explain them to you.

Close to Paris: Chantilly and Senlis, Aurs-sur-Oise, Ile des Impressionistes, Fontainebleau, Pierrefonds, Moret-sur-Loing, Chartres, Giverny, Versailles

Farther afield: Alsace (Strasbourg, Colar, Route du Vin...)

Champagne country: Epernay and Reims

"South" where? The "south" comprises half of France. What did you have in mind?

What will you do with that Parisian hotel you've secured if you're going to go wandering all over?
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 11:05 AM

Auvers-sur-Oise is what I meant
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 01:41 PM

If doing London or Brussels be sure to book those tickets way way in advance to get much cheaper day return tickets than walk-up fares-www.eurostar.com for Paris-London
www.thalys.com for Paris-Brussels

Check www.seat61.com for loads on booking online your own cheap tickets -general info on trains www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Normandy and D-day beaches is easy day trip by train Paris-Bayeux then mini-bus tours to nearby D-day sites. Even Mont-Saint-Michel is an easy if long 3 hours each way day trip. Book those discounted tickets at www.voyages-sncf.com.

But the plethora of neat daytrips much closer to Paris should not be overlooked - like the Loire Valley - train to Tours and take minibuses to some of the best of the chateaus.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 01:48 PM

Versailles, Fontainebleau, Chartres, Angers via TGV, Troyes, Chantilly--the choices are almost endless.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 07:47 AM

And Reims for great cathedral - lively regional town and Champagne House/Caves tours with tastings. Just an hour from Paris by train.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 01:32 PM

We'd like to stay in Paris but perhaps go South for a few days>

I'd hop the train say to Avignon and rent a car for a few days and see lots of awesome sights - nicer weather than Paris or Loire in April - stay in a smaller town near Avignon like St-Remy-de-Provence that many rave about. Just about 2.5 hours by train.