Search

10 days France and Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days France and Italy

Hi all,
I'll be taking my family to Europe during the month of June. We'll have 10 days on the ground and we're having a bit of trouble narrowing down our itinerary. Most of our family has seen London, but nowhere else in Europe, so they're wanting to see a good overview of the places. We have two potential options, but I'm a bit concerned that they're too ambitious.

Option 1: 2 days in Paris
travel to Lucerne. 1.5 days in Lucerne
Lucerne to Cinque Terre (connect trains in Milan)
1.5-2 days in Cinque Terre
Florence

Option 2: 2 days in Paris
travel Paris to Avignon;
2-3 days in Provence
Provence to Nice (1 night) Nice to Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre (2 days
Florence
any thoughts? They both involve quite a bit of travel, but our family has a wide array of interests and must-sees.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you're biting off more than will be enjoyable for such a short trip. Both itineraries mention Florence and I'm wondering why, in particular. For a first trip I believe Rome might be a more enjoyable choice.

I suggest, with a group (how many & ages?), you might do well to divide the days among Paris, So. of France and Rome, at most. Cinque Terre will be mobbed and Rome has something for everyone. Three days each at minimum for each location, fly home from Rome.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally think the CT is a bad choice given the crowds and relative hassle to get there.

For such a short visit Paris and Rome - or Paris and Florence - or Paris and a bit of the south of France is all I would bite off.

You need to account for travel time and 'logistics'. 10 days 'on the ground' so a 12 day trip all together - right? If so, that nets 9.5 usable days - then you need to subtract half to nearly an entire day every time you move - which takes away a lot of your usable time 'on the ground' (how many are you- if more than 2 or 3 everything will take longer)
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:41 AM

I would do a modified #2 - Just stay in France.

It is somewhat difficult & time consuming to get from Nice to the CT. You have options of 6 3/4 to 5 3/4 hr train trips with 2 train changes in the AM, or a faster trip trip which departs at 2:08 and arrives at 7:05 with 1 train change - which pretty much kills one of your "too few" days. Plus, I personally would not want to be in either the CT or Florence in late June unless you really love crowds.

- 3 nights Paris. Take the 2 3/4 hr TGV from Paris to the Avignon TGV train station & rent a car.
- 3 nights in Provence
- Drive to Nice & 3 nights in the Riveria. Fly home from Nice.

Or do it in reverse & start in Nice.

Less travel & more time "being there".

We've spent 40 weeks in Provence & Cote d'Azur - almost all of it in June & the crowds really are not that bad if you stay out of the super touristy places like Gordes, St Tropez, St Paul, & St Remy from 10AM to 5PM.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:46 AM

It takes three nights in a place to get two full days for seeing/doing/experiencing. So if you want two full days in Paris, you need to spend three nights there. Your plan is unrealistic if you want to experience anything of the places you have chosen. I'd recommend that you choose two places for your 10 days. It might be Paris and Rome, or it might be Paris and Provence, for instance.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Paris plus Provence or all you'll be doing is checking in and out, packing, traveling.
Or Florence, Cinque Terre, more in Tuscany.
Or Milan, Lucerne, more days in Berger Oberland,Switzerland, Italian Lakes.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that Paris & Rome, or Paris & Provence would be an altogether better trip. I added one more to ease them into the wisdom of fewer destinations, trying a bit of psychology. But I didn't really mean it.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 11:13 AM

Agree with all the above that Paris and Provence will make a nice vacation. Anything more is going to have you doing more travelling than sightseeing.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 11:41 AM

Without debating where to go and for how long a word about long-distance trains - booking EARLY as possible can yield big savings on tickets. For France www.voyages-sncf.com and Italy www.trenitalia.com - book your own but keep in mind biggest discounts are typically non-changeable non-refundable and are train-specificso be sure of your dates and times and don't miss the train! For lots of good info on French trains check www.seat61.com - sage advice on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If never been to Paris I'd put another day or two - day you land may not be worth much if jet-lagged.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 12:24 PM

Both plans are way too much for 10 days.
Are you including arrival Day?
Assume you do not have tickets booked, so do not know if you will really have time on either arrival or departure days.
If tickets are already booked, where is arrival and departure?
Very import:
How many people?
How old are they?
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 01:31 PM
mjs

Agree with everyone els. Pick two places such as Paris and Rome or perhaps Paris and Provence.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 01:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You are correct. Both those plans are "too ambitious" for your timeframe. You need to cut back significantly!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 07:54 PM

I spent a month in Nice some time ago and found lots to do along the Riviera. Menton, Antibes, St. Tropez, Monaco, and Nice. Each town is a day trip, so the longer yiu stay in the area the better.

Overnight train or fly from Paris. 3 to 4 days in Paris.

Cinque Terre or Florence. Fly from Florence.

If you move your family every other night, then they will be miserable.

I agree with others, select either France OR Italy.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 11:59 AM

I agree with others, select either France OR Italy.>

Yes and spend more than 2 days in Paris - about 4 would be right.

Yes if wanting to do Paris and say Venice and Rome - fly in and out of Paris and return or fly into Rome - can take overnight Thello train Paris to Venice.