10 days around Heilbroon, Germany

Old Jan 6th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days around Heilbroon, Germany

Will have 10 days to sightsee/tour the area around Heilbroon before attending a wedding on September 13, 2014. We're open to suggestions and opinions! We enjoy the usual attractions of castles, medieval towns, wineries, biergartens, etc. Not opposed to public transportation but most willing to rent a car. Thanks!
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Oops on the typo...Heilbronn, Germany!!
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 09:04 PM

If you're happy to rent a car, that gives you more scope for visits, but there might be some days you prefer to take the train (esp. if going to a bigger town/city as parking can be painful).

In terms of things to see on day trips, you have the big ones like Heidelberg, places in and around the Black Forest, Konstanz/Bodensee, the Rhein Falls (south of Schaffhausen), Nurnberg, Regensburg, Cologne, Frankfurt, even Strassbourg (although you'd want more than a day there). And that's not even scratching the surface of smaller towns and sights, so plenty to see if you're staying in Heilbronn the whole time.

Are you going to stay in Heilbronn the whole time? Or have you considered spending time in other cities in Germany and making your way to Heilbronn before the wedding?
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 09:45 PM

Hi ashcanannie,

I was stationed in Heilbronn in the 1980s, though I was working 12-hour days 6 days/week (and half a day on Sunday!). I don't have a lot of suggestions, but here are a few:

Stuttgart is an easy train ride away. You don't want to drive in Stuttgart, which is a city and can be frustrating to drive through.

Heidelberg also is an easy train ride away, as suggested.

My landlady lived in the town called Lauffen am Neckar, and it's just a lovely town on the river. She took me to a church that has been standing for 1,000 years (if I'm remembering that right). Lauffen is just south of Heilbronn on the Neckar.

The town of Bad Wimpfen is also a lovely place. I think I remember that they have a wine festival in the fall, so it's worthwhile to check that. BW is north of Heilbronn.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to post again!

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 06:33 AM

When we lived in Stuttgart, we got hooked on volksmarching, which is basically an organized walk through the countryside at your own pace. (You don't travel in a pack; you are given a map and directions and do the walk on your own whenever you want during the specified hours.) It's a fabulous way to see the outlying areas and there's always beer and wurst waiting at the end.

The Stuttgart German-American Wandering Club has a couple of volksmarches scheduled for the weekend of September 6th & 7th which are no more than an hour or so away from Heilbronn. Here's a link to their website:
http://www.sgawc.org/us/
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks, everyone! Yes, we do plan to rent a car but also know to take trains into the bigger cities. My husband and I have been to Germany several times because our son (the one getting married) was stationed there in the early 2000's. We loved every place we visited and aren't opposed to revisiting them. Another couple is going with us. It will be there first trip and probably their only one, so we'd like to make it is especially memorable.

My husband and I will be spending the week after the wedding with my daughter-in-law's family. It is their desire to show us some of the Talheim area. I'll have to ask them what itinerary they have in mind.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and post more if anything more crosses your mind.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sure you want to spend ten days? My father spent a few hours in Heilbronn and always said they were among the worst of his life -- but that was on April 4, 1945.

Just kidding. Some years back I visited to track down some WWII family sites, and found it most interesting to view the terrain from Castle Hill, where the woods still hide bomb craters. About an hour away is the university town of Tubingen. Quaint and charming -- try a boat ride on the river.