Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 day trip to Naples, Sorrento, Ravello, Amalfi Coast

Jan 4th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Judy

We are planning a 10 trip to Southern Italy and are thinking of spending time in naples, Sorrento, Ravello and Amalfi. Has anyone any suggestions for restaurants, hotels and sites we should not miss? All insight appreciated.

Jan 4th, 2000, 11:14 AM
Dona

Judy,

I did a trip like that a few years ago. Started in Naples for a few days - lots to see. Really liked Naples a lot.

Took the hydrofoil to Ischia for a few days - and visited small fishing island of Procida.

Took hydrofoil to Capri for a few days then boat to Positano. Had a car delivered and used it to tour the Amalfi coast - visitinf many towns and Pompeii - using Positano as a base.

It was a great trip - let me know if you need specific information, including your preferences re: type of restaurant/hotel, price, etc.

Have a great trip...

Dona

Jan 4th, 2000, 12:58 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Dona, I want to travel with you sometime
---you sure seem to do it right.

Jan 4th, 2000, 02:10 PM
elizabeth

Hi Judy - there's been many excellent postings on this area. If you haven't already done so I suggest you search under the city names and you'll find a wealth of information.

We stayed in Sorrento last February and found it to be a great base for the area. From there we travelled to Pompeii, Capri, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi, etc. You may want to consider renting a villa (which is what we did). We've rented villas 3 times now in Italy and find it to be a really enjoyable holiday experience. (also, usually less expensive than hotels - our villa outside of Sorrento worked out to approx $100 US a night for a lovely 2 bedroom house with a stunning Med view). It does mean, however, that you need a car.

Hope you enjoy your trip - I envy you!

Jan 5th, 2000, 01:29 PM
Dona

Bob,
You're welcome - anytime!!

;-))

Dona

Jan 6th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Carol

Bob--me too!

Jan 6th, 2000, 02:22 PM
Jane

Dona, what does it mean to have a car delivered? We have already decided that we won't drive for our trip in May, but if having a car delivered takes care of the hassle of going to an airport to rent, maybe we'll rethink this idea.

How/where do you drop it off and how do they figure the daily rates?

Jan 6th, 2000, 02:50 PM
Marija

Eat at Cumpa Cosmo in Ravello.

Jan 6th, 2000, 07:31 PM
Dona

Jane,

This was back in '96 when I was still using a travel agent. If I remember correctly, she arranged for the car company to drop off the car at the hotel in Positano and I dropped it off at the Naples airport when we left.

I don't remember how the rate was calculated - but it was worth it for us to have car on the Amalfi coast. Sorry I don't remember the details...

Dona