I am planning a 10 day trip to Germany and am looking for advice / insight / recommendations. We are planning on going at the end of September 2011 (to experience Oktoberfest).
My uncle lives in Stuttgart, so as of right now, we are planning on hitting Munich and Stuttgart. Which leads me to my first question- what other cities would you hit?
Our plan is to fly out of Miami and directly into Munich. We are planning on the red eye on Thursday night and land in Munich on Friday morning and spend until Sunday morning there. Then on Sunday, we plan to make our way to Stuttgart. We plan on flying home the following Saturday, which gives us 6 days in Stuttgart to do day trips or time to go some place else. My next question is, what do you recommend? Is there enough to do around Stuttgart to make some day trips? Or would you just spend a few days there and then move on? The upside is that we have a free place to stay in Stuttgart.
One of the places I was looking at that I thought would be a good day trip is the Black Forest. It looks like you could do some nice hiking and spend some time enjoying nature and have a picnic. And I would be remiss if I did not mention that I want a piece of that chocolate cake! But seriously, is it worth the day? And is it something that we can do in 1 day?
Where else in Southern Germany would you recommend? Would you recommend making our way to Zurich or Salzburg? We are not opposed to a flying out of another or country- maybe spending 4 days in Stuttgart and then 2 someplace else.
I guess what I really would like to know is what do you think of this itinerary? What would you change? What would you do?
I think I should probably mention that neither my husband or myself have ever been to Europe. This will be both of our 1st time, and the reason we chose Germany is because my uncle is living there for a couple of years. We definitely want to spend some time in Stuttgart to see him.
Any advice that you could offer would be great! We are still in the very early phases of planning so there is still a lot of flexibility in our itinerary. The only thing that is set is the Thursday-Saturday time frame (due to vacation day restraints). We would also like to be in Munich over a weekend, since we have some friends that live there and they would only be able to play tour guide on the weekend.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 2 8 months around Europe
- 3 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 4 Favorite London memories
- 5 Hotels or apartments recommendations for Seville Malaga Córdoba Ronda
- 6 Return to Slovenia and Venice plus Trieste
- 7 Ronda or Jerez
- 8 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 9 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 10 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 11 two days in rome
- 12 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 13 Flight questions To Italy with Frankfurt connection
- 14 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 15 Avignon
- 16 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 17 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 18 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 19 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 20 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 21 Budget trip
- 22 Rome to Greece on a Ferry
- 23 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 24 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 25 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!