10 day Stay in London

Search

10 day Stay in London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 day Stay in London

I am planning a trip to london, england in May 2008. I would like to get a centrally located B & B to
visit the Bell Tower, Horse Guard, Changing of the Guards, medical museum, Churchill's WWII shelter, Ben Frankin's home, a prety flower garden, Tower Bridge. I will be with a partner and we are both 74 years old with very little mobolity problems. It would be nice if you would name other places of interest, also.
Thanks, RIFRAF
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM

We'll all be coming at that different ways, so forgive the very scrappy answer.

What does "little mobility problems" mean? The Tube can be a pain for some people, and need special planning. Can you both manage frequent 400 yd walks, including occasional flights of a dozen stairs? If not, we do need to give you some special pointers.

Asking for 'the medical museum' in London is like asking for 'the bistro' in Paris. Take your pick: www.medicalmuseums.org.

As for pretty flower gardens in May. There are, quite literally, about a million in London then. Can you be just a wee bit more specific?
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM
yk

Hi rifraf-

It may be more helpful if you post your budget for lodging. For 2 people staying for 10 days, you may do better with renting an apartment than staying at a B&B or hotel. With an apartment, you generally get more space than a B&B room, plus you can save some $ by eating in every now and then.

Apart from Churchill War Rooms, I highly recommend the Imperial War Museum.

Not sure if you enjoy art museusm, but of course London has lots of them, and most of them are free admission.

If you are an avid gardener, then you should consider attending the annual Chelsea Flower Show, which is held in May. Advance tickets IS A MUST!
http://www.rhs.org.uk/whatson/events/chelsea2009.htm
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Look up the Sanctuary Inn on Trip Advisor and see if it fits your budget and needs. It's a good location with lots of convenient transport for many of the things you've mentioned.

You might enjoy a boat trip on the Thames, either to Kew Garden (which is vast) or Hampton Court (which is vast) but in truth, if the weather is nice, a boat trip on the Thames is a wonderful way to get a sense of the forces that shaped historic London. There are boats that leave from both sides of the Westminster Bridge to various destinations, long and short.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

As to mobility, we do not want to walk long distances because of a bad foot which is our only problem. We like a B & B with a rack rate of 120 euros or less. We would would like full breakfast Bacon & Eggs) since I can't eat a lot of cerials and bread.
Thanks for your responses.
rifraf
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
yk

The bus in London is your friend then. Plenty of bus stops, and bus routes practically go all over London. no need to climb up/down stairs or long corridors like you have to for the tube. Here's a handy bus map:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...al_bus_map.pdf

You can try the B&Bs in Bloomsbury. I think Arosfa has decent reviews here:
http://www.arosfalondon.com/

There are plenty of bus lines that go NOrth on Tottenham Court Rd (one block from Gower Street), and plenty of bus lines that go South on Gower Street.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Arosfa is good choice in Bloomsbury, as is the Ridgemount, a couple of doors down - ridgemounthotel.co.uk. Better bathrooms at the Ridgemount, maybe slightly better breakfasts at the Arosfa. Both places require you to be able to tackle stairs, though - no elevators.