10 day Spain Itenerary Help

Feb 25th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

10 day Spain Itenerary Help

We're goning in April.

DAY 1 and 2: Arrive Barca
go to Tarragona and Monserrat

DAYS 3, 4, & 5: Head back to Barca, see a Barca Match and tour/feel the city.

DAY 6 and 7: Leave Barca in the Afternoon for Madrid(by train) . arrive Madrid in the afternoon. So thats a day and a half in Madrid.

DAY 8: go to Granada, or somewhere(day trip) or maybe 2 cities close by.

DAYS 9 and 10. All Madrid

Day 11: back home

Am i taking too much time AWAY from these 2 magnificent cities?

What are the problems you see with this trip?

Any suggestions for Day Trips?

What are some "Must Do's"?

Any Ideas on rooms for 4 persons? like a Jr.Suite or something? Mid range price. Good location.
(2 adults and 2 teens)

thanks....spunge

Feb 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM

What jumps out from your post is that you have Granada as a "day trip" from Madrid. No way!

Day trips from Madrid could be Toledo, Segovia, or Avila.

Maybe you should consider an apartment rental. there have benn some recent posts about this. Hopefully others with more knowledge about this will post.

have a great trip!
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM
car

Barca is the abrevation name for the Football team, while Barcelona is the name for the city.
Barcelona and Madrid time looks fine to me, but your daytrip to Granada, 400kms away, even by plane seems undoable.
You have plenty of destinations one hour from Madrid to make an interesting day trip, Toledo, Segovia, Avila, El Escorial, Aranjuez, Just to mention some.
I think the "Must Do" is very much related with your own personal interest,
Shopping, Buildings, Museums, Restaurants ...
I suggest you should be more precise.
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM

I've travelled extensively around Spain (4x in ten years) and have planned trips for other people to Spain. I will say that the train is a great deal in Spain and very user-friendly - just go to renfe.es and sign up - you can book your tickets from here without any problems. Night trains were comfortable and save you $$ on hotels (my 65 year old parents loved them!!!)

Here is a possibility if you are interested in Barcelona, Madrid, and Granada. I'm guessing that you fly into BCN and out of madrid???

I'd start off in Barcelona and spend four days there. Haven't been to Monserrat but there's a lot of daytrips around Barcelona which are pretty cool.

The train from Barcelona to the south stops through Tarragona, which is a nice city but nothing amazing (the ruins are pretty cool). I'd leave Barcelona on the train in the morning, store your stuff in left luggage, stop in Tarragona, poke around a bit, then get back on the train to Granada. The Trenhotel leaves Tarragona at 22:54 and arrives in Granada at 8:40 AM.

If you book afternoon tickets to the Alhambra online ahead of time, you can skip the lines, head straight to your hotel, situate yourself, then visit the Alhambra, then poke around Granada (a gorgeous, laid back city), stay a day or two there, and then take an early morning train to Cordoba, leave your luggage at the station, and check out out the Mezquita (unbelievable and underrated, in my opinion) during the day (give yourself 4-5 hours), wander around Cordoba, and take the evening train to Madrid, and then take the next few days in Madrid.

You can email me for more questions. Good lucky you lucky duck!!! Spain in April!!!!

Feb 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

wow.. thank you all for your replies. And CAR, the correction is noted.

i think were not going to do Granada, but will do one of the closer day trips from Madrid.

I'll check out the previous post on Apartment Hotels.

We actually are flying into BCN and out for MAD.

Would it be very dificult to get to Montserrat straight from the airport upon arrival to BCN?

Still looking for rooms though....

thanks Fodorites, for your assistance

Feb 26th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Hi, spunge,

as you are a family, why not go for apartments?

you should find plenty of choice in both cities, and they will give you much more space for less money. our kids have always enjoyed those sorts of holidays best and one of the best bits is sending them out to get the breakfast - croissants, etc.

on your new itinerary, they would certainly work for BCN and possibly Madrd. in granada we stayed at the hotel guadelope right opposite the alhambra and had a room for two of us that was big enough for a family. there is a bus down to, and more importantly back up from, the town and it had a nice restaurant too.

do pre-book your alhambra tickets and go in the evening too - it april it will be lovely at night.

regards, ann
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM

I agree that Granada's not very practical. You COULD do a couple days in Madrid and a couple days in Seville. The high speed train between those two cities is very convenient. Seville's one of my favorite cities in the world, and it's got a very different feel from both Barcelona and Madrid.

That being said, the idea of doing Barcelona and Madrid, with day trips to Segovia and Toledo is also a great plan.

If you're leaning towards that, I'd even suggest spending one night in Toledo. The day tripping crowds disapear and it's really peaceful in the evening. We loved staying at the Hostal del Cardinal (a bargain at 77.04 Euros, inc tax), and dinner there was one of our best in Spain.
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM

BTW, that room price is for a double. They do have suites but I don't know if they can sleep 4.
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Alright.. got a room situated in Barcelona(petit palace museum).

Next thing to work on is Madrid lodging. "Hotel de las Letras" anyone been here? and anyone know how the "BW Atlantico" is?

Tried booking the train today(www.renfe.es), and both times, from 2 different computers, it didnt go and charge the card. I'll try agan tomorrow. it was €40.55 ea. not bad for the Web Fare.

We're going to do Montserrat on day 2, and Toledo and a football match on day 3.

hopefully i'll figure out the day trip from Madrid soon.

Any opinions on the madrid hotels would be appreciated.
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM

"We're going to do Montserrat on day 2, and Toledo and a football match on day 3."

I'm hoping you meant Tarragona on day 3, and not Toledo. Toledo's outside of Madrid, not Barcelona.
Feb 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes alan64 you are correct. I meant Tarragona ...