Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   10 Day Itinerary suggestions from Barcelona to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/10-day-itinerary-suggestions-from-barcelona-to-paris-656943/)

chaslor Nov 5th, 2006 04:35 AM

10 Day Itinerary suggestions from Barcelona to Paris

We will be traveling to Spain in May-June '07 for a week, then train/driving from Barcelona to Paris (flying out of Paris) for approx. 10 days. I would like to go through Languedoc - Provence - Burgundy to Paris. I'm looking for any suggestions on an itinerary for this route. Two days each region? Base out of one town in Provence and day trip? I'll be with my hubby and 21 year old daughter. Thanks!

chaslor Nov 6th, 2006 05:09 PM

ttt

DonaM Nov 6th, 2006 06:00 PM

if you can find time, I'd make a stop in Carcassonne. I was just there 2 weeks ago. It is a wonderful,2500 yr old walled medieval city with shops restaurants, a hotel, and galleries all inside the original walls and palace. We spent a great afternoon there and then took the train from Perpignan to Barcelona. You could certainly drive from Barcelona, but if you are renting a car, there are several rental agencies in Perpignan.
Prior to being in Carcassonne, we had driven from Provence where we'd visited several towns. We stayed in Arles at a small family owned inn - Hotel Du Forum, in the center of the old city, around the corner from the forum. You can easily do some day trips from there. We did somewhat of a reverse trip from yours.. you can read the trip report here : http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

travelbunny Nov 6th, 2006 06:10 PM

Your do not have a lot of time IMO.- Forget Burgundy. Barcelona- 3days, Paris 3days..so pick another spot. There is a high speed train (TGV) from Avignon. I would rent a car in Perpignon and spend 4 days between Perpignon and Avignon. I stayed in a lovely place in Quarante and did day trips, but I think you can center yourself in any one region and do the same.

Lexma90 Nov 6th, 2006 06:42 PM

I'm currently planning a similar (but shorter) trip. We're starting in Barcelona, then heading up the coast (car or train, not yet decided) into France. Our big decision was to visit Provence or Dordogne. Both are lovely places with great food and lots to see; we've been to both, but decided to return to the Dordogne this time. So we'll go through Languedoc (including Carcassonne), then spend time in the Dordogne, 4 days or so. From there, we'll probably take a plane from Toulouse to Paris for the end of our stay.

If you're planning on spending some of those 10 days in Paris, then I would suggest that you leave off Burgundy in the interests of time. Languedoc you'll go through on the way from Barcelona, and from Provence it's easy enough to get to Paris (TGV).

Dukey Nov 6th, 2006 08:04 PM

Unless there isn't a drop charge I suggest you take the train from Barcelona into France and rent the car there.

DonaM Nov 9th, 2006 08:17 PM

we rented with Hertz and they have a place right near the Perpignan train station. easy off the train. take the train from Barcelona to Perpignan and pick up the car there..

mpprh Nov 10th, 2006 07:12 AM

"I'd make a stop in Carcassonne. I was just there 2 weeks ago. It is a wonderful,2500 yr old walled medieval city "

Just to say these walls are circa 1200 AD and badly renovated in circa 1700 AD and since. A bit like Disneyland ?

The best city walls in the area are at Aigues Mortes circa 1200 AD. Aigues Mortes was the departure point for many of the crusades as it was the, then, only French port on the Med.

Peter
www.the-languedoc-page.com

chaslor Nov 11th, 2006 05:46 AM

Lexma90 - why did you decide on Dordogne instead of Provence? I have been beside myself trying to decide which region to visit. It's our first visit to France so one part of me thinks we should go ahead and visit Provence, but then I read all the posts about how fantastic the Dordogne is and I'm now torn. Maybe you can help me with my decision since you've been to both areas. I really want to experience France - it's culture, food, art, landscape although to truly do that I know one visit won't cut it. So now my decision lies with barcelona - dordogne - paris, barcelona languedoc - provence - paris, or barcelona - provence - burgundy - paris? What will Dordogne offer me that Provence won't, and what will Provence offer me that Dordogne won't? Thanks!

kaneda Nov 11th, 2006 07:44 AM

Earlier in the year, I drove from Barcelona to Paris in 12 hours. Plenty of places to stop on the way. Don't pick provinces but towns. I would go along the west coast: Carcassone, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Angouleme, Poiters, Nantes, Rennes, Mont St Michel, Caen, Deauville, Rouen, Paris. Or similar.