10 day itinerary- first trip to Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if I could get a few tips and opinions of my rough itinerary. We are in our early 30's will enjoy the nightlife and music of the pubs, are very much looking forward to driving in the countryside and doing a few small hikes to explore and are both interested in history. This is what I have come up with after some quick research. We have not bought our tickets yet and will be arriving June 7 and fly out June 17.
Day 1- Land in Dublin early
Day 2/3- Dublin
Day 4- Pick up car early, Drive to Kenmare, stop at Rock of Cashel along the way, sleep in Kenmare (I know this will be a long day, any suggestions?)
Day 5- ROK sleep in Kenmare
Day 6 -Drive to Dingle, maybe go to Conor pass.
Day 7- Dingle peninsula, sleep in Dingle
Day 8- Drive to Galway, stop at Cliffs of Moher
Day 9- daytrip from Galway (Aran Islands or Burren)
Day 10- Galway (could also add a day somewhere else and just do 2 days in Galway)
Day 11- return car at Shannon airport and fly home.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 02:42 PM

Hi Mike.
If you are determined to drive Conor Pass, be forewarned. It is extremely narrow and you will be driving on the edge of a cliff. There is no way, to accomodate oncoming traffic, so if you meet any, one of you has to back up.
While in Galway, try the Pucan( pronounced Pooh-caw-n) in for Irish music and food. It's right on the square and usually has a good mix of old and young people.

If you are stopping to see the Cliffs of Moher, you are right on the doorstep of the Burren and if you drive thru it on your way to Galway, you can free up a day for visiting the Aran Islands.
Another suggestion for scenic views and a nice day's drive is from Galway to Maam Cross, then to Cong, and back into Galway via Headford. (Maam Cross is the area where The Quiet Man was filmed. Then head to The Quays Bar on Quay St for music and food.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 03:09 PM

<< Day 4- Pick up car early, Drive to Kenmare, stop at Rock of Cashel along the way, sleep in Kenmare (I know this will be a long day, any suggestions?>>

One suggestion is to stop and have breakfast after you've been driving for about an hour. It will wake you up and stop again if you start to feel drowsy. You might be interested in the link below which is an account of a drive from Dublin to Kenmare............by an Aussie from a few years ago.but still pertinent, I think..

http://www.authorsden.com/visit/view...y.asp?id=22825
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 07:08 PM

If you would prefer to spend the previous night close to the airport, I can recommend Oak Wood Arms Hotel in Shannon. They have a resteraunt for a decent dinner and a really good breakfast. I have stayed there several times and a double room with breakfast can be had for about $100. It is only 5 mins from the airport and if you were interested in attending the Medieval Banquet at Bunratty Castle, or visiting the Folk Park, on the previous evening, they are only a few miles away.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:22 AM

I would recommend day 8 staying in Doolin or Lisdoonvarna. Doolin being more of a tourist hot spot with live music every night in the pubs some cute sweater shops and a fudge shop to die for! Doolin is where the ferry port out to the Aran Islands is-a 5 minute drive down the road. In Doolin I can recommend Hotel Doolin. Lisdoon is more quieter that time of year then Doolin would be but is an adorable little spot and if you end up there do stop into the Roadside Tavern where they brew their own beer and smoke their own fish. Try the Burren Black! Lisdoon is 'the gateway to the buren.' Staying in either of these spots makes much more sense between visits to the Cliffs one day and either the islands or the burren the next as they are much closer to both then going back and forth to Galway!

You could also do your last night in Ennis, a smaller city closer to Shannon airport then coming all the way from Galway.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:37 AM

Endorsing re Conor Pass. I did it for the first time in the ice earlier this year. Thankfully met no one on the way .

Dublin to Kenmare in a day is too much.

The Aussie account is hilarious; thank you
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Very good suggestion from caitboy1 regarding the Doolin or Lisdoonvarna area. By the way, where are you staying in Galway ? I used to live and work there many, many years ago and still visit every year or so.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 07:17 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 03:30 PM

Just be aware that the trip to the Aran Islands is much longer from Doolin than from Galway including the drive to Rosseveal for the ferry. Also the trip from Doolin is weather dependent while from Rosseveal much less so! I am in the minority when I don't quite get the attraction of Doolin. There are a couple of pubs along a very short main street, a sweater shop and a music store. Galway has way more for pubs and other attractions. But remember this is just my opinion.

I would agree that stopping in the Burren on the way to Galway makes sense.