Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   10-11 day Honeymoon in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/10-11-day-honeymoon-in-europe-880469/)

robcovi Mar 4th, 2011 11:41 AM

10-11 day Honeymoon in Europe

My fiance and I are starting to plan a 10-11 day honeymoon to Europe (from Florida) in mid to late October, 2011. We think we have narrowed down our locations to London, Paris and Amsterdam. I'm looking for any advise regarding how much time in each city, best methods of travel, ways to save money on hotels and any lesser known attractions we shouldn't miss. Also, was thinking of renting a car from Paris to Amsterdam and would like to know if anyone thinks that's a good or bad idea. Any/all advise is appreciated.

BigRuss Mar 4th, 2011 11:52 AM

Sounds rainy. Really rainy. And when not rainy, damp.

You sure about those locations? They're a lot nicer in the Spring than late October. Remember also that it will be getting dark early -- European daylight savings ends earlier than US daylight savings and each of the three cities you mention are FAR to the north of any major US city.

Explain what you're looking for and why, and there may be other suggestions that would interest you. Otherwise, just do London and Paris and skip Amsterdam -- there's too much to see in the first two if you've never been to spend only 3 or so nights.

And I'd consider flying MIA - Paris then LHR to MIA and taking the Eurostar from Paris to London because you GAIN an hour with the time change.

suze Mar 4th, 2011 12:09 PM

3 days London, 3 days Amsterdam, 5 days Paris. No I would not rent a car. I'd travel by train or plane.

I also would consider dropping one city and only doing two, because of your limited timeframe. I'd drop either Amsterdam or London, definitely keep Paris!

hetismij Mar 4th, 2011 12:40 PM

It needn't be rainy at that time - we very often have a period of delightful autumn weather around then, with morning mists followed by sun. It can be horrible, but it can be beautiful.

Renting a car is a bad idea. You will pay one way drop off fees, and it costs a fortune to park a car in Amsterdam. Given your limited time take the train, much faster than driving.

janisj Mar 4th, 2011 01:00 PM

Congratulations !

October is not a rainy month -- of course it can rain ANY time in those 3 cities. But in October rain would be less of an issue than many other months.

If it was me (and a honeymoon) - I'd do Paris and London (or Paris and A'dam) and not trying to d o all 3.

Travel between cities eats up at least 1/2 a day, day 1 will be a jet lagged fog, and if this is immediately after the wedding you will be even more tired.

So -- I'd fly into London, spend 5 days, take the eurostar to Paris, spend 5 days, fly home from Paris

(It is cheaper to fly in to London and home from Paris because UK departure taxes/fees are much higher.)

You do not need/want a car AT ALL.

suze Mar 4th, 2011 01:05 PM

While I found Amsterdam an interesting city, I didn't consider it a particularly 'romantic' one (like I do Paris) so would not feel bad dropping it from your itinerary, and do something more ilke 4 days London and and entire week in Paris.

bilboburgler Mar 4th, 2011 02:32 PM

agree with much of the above. SAving money, well book early and use someone like booking.com. Tell the hotels that its your honeymoon and they may spring for the odd fizz.

London, the museums are nearly all free. France, eat your main meal as a menu at lunch time M-F

Fodors did a whole thread on how to save money in France and UK. Suggest you search it out.