Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1 Year Anniversary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1-year-anniversary-732490/)

lkhill Aug 28th, 2007 11:39 AM

1 Year Anniversary

My husband and I would love to go to Italy for our one year anniversary (March '08). We are both active, and love to ride bikes. Please advise on the best places to see/do/stay for a first trip to Italy. Please include the best bets for the $.

quinnr Aug 28th, 2007 11:56 AM

what is your time frame--how many days and nights do you have for this trip. What is your budget, in addition to riding bikes, what is making you want to visit Italy, food, wine, art etc.

The more information you can give the more responses you will get.

Best Regards,
Robyn

sandi_travelnut Aug 28th, 2007 11:57 AM

You may want to repost with a title that reflects what you are wanting. Also, tell us what areas you have already looked into and may be interested, how many days you are staying and your budget. Since you don't indicate what you have already done to prepare or research it kind of looks like you want someone to plan it for you...let us know more....

ira Aug 28th, 2007 12:01 PM

Hi lk,

Now is a good time to go to the library and get some guide books to Italy.

Start here under "Destinations".

After you have a draft itinerary, come back and let us help you improve it.

((I))

lkhill Aug 29th, 2007 06:03 AM

We can stay for 10 days (not including travel). I haven't figured out what my budget should be. I know I want to stay in a clean hotel in a good location. It doesn't have to be fancy, just comfortable. I'd love to stay close to places that have good shopping. We love to try things off the beaten path. I know I'd like to see Rome, and Tuscany. I want to go to Italy because I hear it is very romantic. We love food, and know little about wine and art. However, I'm interested in learning more. Suggestions on must see for a first trip with this time frame?

sandi_travelnut Aug 29th, 2007 09:36 AM

Click on Destinations at the top of this page and look at some possible itineraries to get you started. Think about how much money you are comfortable spending, total and that will help you break down your daily budget. Would you want to travel by train or rent a car to tour through Tuscany? That also should be factored into your budget. Personally I would consider approx 150-180 euro per night for a hotel in Rome. It wouldn't be a luxury place but I think that's a good, moderate price.

AmyKW Aug 29th, 2007 12:38 PM

Positano on the Amalfi Coast is VERY romantic - the most beautiful views I've ever seen. You can make a day trip to Pompeii from there too, if that interests you. Actually, we made several day trips from Positano - including the island of Capri, Amalfi and Ravello - all accessible via ferry.
Check out the Villa Rosa in Positano. Affordable and WONDERFUL!
Have fun! :)