1 wk in Paris in early March

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 wk in Paris in early March

Hello! This is my first post. I'm traveling to Paris with my husband for 1 week. This is my first time in Paris (although Iíve dreamed about it since the 7th grade Ė many many years ago). We are in our late 30ís so weíre gearing up for lots of sightseeing.

My first question is, what is the weather in Paris during early March. Iím assuming itís much like NYC . . . 40ís and 50ís?

My second question goes to the time that we are scheduled to be in this wonderful Paris. As any good tourist, we are planning on seeing all of the tourist sights. However, Iíd like to take a daytrip. Iím trying to figure out what would be the best. Iíve been told that Chartes is a great idea, but I was also told that it is best in the morning. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors!

just a couple of quick comments right now. You could get any sort of weather really from nice-ish to cold/rainy/sleety. I've been in Paris in March a few times and a couple of visits it was really cold and blustery, other times it was clear and brisk - never what one would call warm. But as long as you dress in layers and have gloves/scarves you'll be fine.

Chartres is terrific. You catch the train from Montparnasse station and it makes a great day trip if you want to go away for a day. Don't worry about getting there first thing in the a.m.

Versailles would be another day trip option.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:38 AM

I second janisj's welcome! Nice to have you!

Paris is pretty temperate for a northern-ish city. For example, yesterday it was 50F and I was in heaven! It does tend to get rainy, but just bring an umbrella and you'll be fine. I find that the rain adds character to the cobblestoned streets (the ones that are left!) and the old buildings.

As for seeing the Paris-sites (ha, couldn't resist), if you get the Carte Musées et Monuments (museum pass) you can also get into Versailles. Chartres is a great idea too. There are many trains running from the Gare Montparnasse to get there, and it's pretty quick--a little over an hour. The tickets are pretty cheap too; I recently bought mine for 13 euro round-trip. Plus, there it's not like you only have to see the cathedral and then you're done. It's a whole town to explore. I suppose it depends on what interests you.

Have a GREAT trip and keep asking questions if you have them!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 04:26 AM

Hi, did you choose a hotel yet...?
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 04:29 AM
ira

Hi M,

With only 1 week for a first trip, I suggests that you not plan any daytrips.

If you get bored, you can just get on a train or bus to Chartres, Versaiiles, Fontainbleau, Malmaison, Dijon, Auxerre, Troyes, Rhiems.....

Bring layers, some days can be cold and windy.

Bring an umbrella.

You should be making your hotel res now.

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Hi. There are alot of options for day trips. I haven't taken very many of them because I always run out of time because there is so much I want to do IN Paris (and I've been five times). But you could research a few and have the info with you and then just play it by ear. None of them need to be booked ahead. If you put "Paris day trips" in the search box you'll get many threads about it.

Several of my trips have been in March, but usually the third week and I think that's about when it warms up. I've had temps below freezing and temps in the high 70s - and sometimes both on the same trip. However my daughter lived there from January to June a few years ago and I remember her talking about balmy days in Feb. and cold weather in April so you never know. Definitly need to bring a winter coat but also some lighter outerwear - layers is good. The french wear scarves all the time and its a great way to warm up/cool down an outfit. Also gloves. You can be quite warm in even a light jacket with gloves and scarf.

Most people on this forum prefer the 5th and 6th, and also the 3rd/4th as areas to stay, and I'm one of them. If you give us your budget (how much per night) everyone will chime in with their favorite hotels.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:00 AM

2 years ago I was in Paris around St. Patrick's day and it was in the 70's. Last year I was there at the same time and it was freezing cold. Rain, snow, windy, miserable but you are in Paris and you don't care. Bring layers. This year I'll be there at the end of March so I'm hoping it is a little warmer.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:26 AM

<<With only 1 week for a first trip, I suggest that you not plan any daytrips.>>

Exactly my thought when I read "1 week" and "we are planning on seeing all the tourist sights."

I doubt that you'll have time to see "all" the tourist sites in one week. I suggest that you make a list and prioritize. A day trip may be on it, but don't run yourselves ragged trying to do everything in such a short time. Allow time to relax and enjoy the city and what it offers.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the fantastic suggestions.

First of all, I've already booked lodging. Since I've been dreaming about this since about the 7th grade, I'd found a an apartment to rent. Last year, during one of my many sessions on the internet dreaming about visiting Paris (aka mental m#%^%&#tion) I found ParisBestLodge.com. I had gone as far as to check references with previous renters regarding their experiences. All I found was good.

The studio apartment is in Le Marais. The address is 20, rue du Bourg-Tibourg 75004 Paris, (see pictures at http://www.parisbestlodge.com/studiomarais.html). So as far as that goes, I think Iím set. Iím still a bit apprehensive, but I have faith that it will work out ok. I understand that this is also the ďgay part of townĒ. The husband is not thrilled with it, but heíll just have to get over it! I keep telling him that Iíll defend him (HE HE HE HA HA HA). I just see it as a more colorful advantage to where we are staying. Thanks for asking.

I like the idea of an apartment much more than a hotel. My theory is unless you travel like Donald Trump, you are better off staying in an apartment vs a hotel. The option of having a w/d and a computer with internet access in the studio apartment was very very attractive to me. Also, the option of having a kitchenette, I think makes things easier. While on vacations, I tend to get tired of eating out towards the end. Itís nice to just have the ability to make something if you really want to.

Anyway, Iím working on my itinerary and there is A LOT to see in Paris. My plan is to have a loose itinerary. I have a list of MUST SEE (i.e., musée díOrsay, arc, Eiffel tower) places and then a list of LIKE TO SEE (i.e., Versailles, Napoleonsí tomb, etc.). I would like to get out of Paris for at least one day. Thatís why I was thinking Chartres.

One other question Iíd like to pose to the experienced Paris visitors is in regards to a nice dinner. Iíd love for us to have one fantastic dinner while we are there. Something with a great view. As far as budget goes, Iíd like to stay at about 200 - 300 euros. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your suggestions and help.

Iím so excited about this trip that I can hardly wait!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Not a great view, but a wonderful, romantic wine cellar instead and really amazing food. Search on here to find more reviews.

http://www.latruffiere.com/

La Truffiere
4 rue Blainville
(Fifth Arrondissement)
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM

The apartment looks beautiful -- please let us know how it works out for you.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:34 AM
ira

Hi M,

>Iíd love for us to have one fantastic dinner while we are there. Something with a great view. As far as budget goes, Iíd like to stay at about 200 - 300 euros.

http://www.lesombres-restaurant.com/

Other choices are Jules Verne and Ciel de Paris

>I would like to get out of Paris for at least one day.

First get to Paris. Then see if you find it necessary to get out of the world's most vibrant city.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
cw

This restaurant is on my list of places to go, and you can't beat the view:

http://www.lesombres-restaurant.com/

I think you'll have a wonderful trip. Your apartment is in a very central location. I've read nothing but good comments about Paris Best Lodge. We've stayed twice in apartments in Paris, and I love the flexibility it gives you.

CW
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Hi, Marce --

We stayed in a studio apt in the Marais last March, too!

The weather was a mixed bag -- it was in the 60's and sunny one day, then the next day it was windy and sleeting. And back and forth.

Just pack warm layers with a waterproof outer layer and you should be fine. Have a great trip -- we LOVED staying in the Marais.