Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1. Where do you come from? 2. What food must you absolutely try in your hometown (and where best to try it)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1-where-do-you-come-from-2-what-food-must-you-absolutely-try-in-your-hometown-and-where-best-to-try-it-753971/)

Aleckii Dec 19th, 2007 02:12 AM

1. Where do you come from? 2. What food must you absolutely try in your hometown (and where best to try it)?

1. I come from Kuching, Sarawak, it's at the western tip of the Borneo islands, with lush greeneries, sunny weather all year long and warm and friendly people! It's also where we have the Rainforest Music Festival every July!

2. You must absolutely try out the Sarawak Laksa. It's Vermicelli with a spicy gravy (a mixture of prawn paste and some indigenous spices), served together with bean sprouts, chopped parsley, a squeeze of lime, sliced omelet, Steamed Chicken and the freshest prawn you can possibly imagine.

It's spicy, and full of a variety of flavour that will leave you wanting more!

The best place to taste it would probably be my home, since my elder brother cooks the best Sarawak Laksa. Alternatively, there's this shop at 3rd mile in Kuching, called the Golden Arch which also makes really really good Laksa.

LCBoniti Dec 19th, 2007 08:43 AM

That sounds wonderful - both your location and the food!

I come from a relatively boring area in the US so I don't have a good answer for these questions. I'm just topping in the hope that others may.

baldrick Dec 19th, 2007 09:30 AM

1. Born and raised in Brugge, Belgium, where you should eat
2. Mussels and french fries at the restaurant called Breydel¬Deconinck, in the center of town (Breydelstraat)

1. Living and working in Fribourg, Switzerland, where xou should eat
2. Fondue vacherin (luke warm melted cheese, bread or small potato on a fork, turning in the 'caquelon'), much more digestive than the normal hot boiling fondue.

RM67 Dec 19th, 2007 09:41 AM

Herts, UK.

Braughing sausages with mash.

Lily Dec 19th, 2007 09:51 AM

Aylmer, Quebec

Poutine at LouLou's Patate.

tod Dec 19th, 2007 09:53 AM

Aleckii - Yes, I have tried laksa in Singapore (The food Capital of the World) Believe me, it's true!
I make it here at home in South Africa with ingredients brought back from Singapura.
Back home, we mostly cook anything Western-style which includes British cooking, Dutch, and if you want to try the local Africa cuisine, I can cook most of it.
Main staple: Maize polenta
Vegetable staple: spinach & cabbage
Meat: Mostly offal & bones
Most Favourite meal for local Africans: Kentucky Fried Chicken(without a doubt).

kerouac Dec 19th, 2007 09:54 AM

I'm from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The stuffed crabs are outstanding when they are done correctly. Since the area was devastated by Katrina and I don't live there anymore, I don't know where you can find them.

Going west towards New Orleans, the fried oyster po-boys are indispensable.

lincasanova Dec 19th, 2007 09:57 AM

valencia, spain: valencian paella, at a wooden fired take out place near my house.

patatas bravas:at almost any decent tapas bar.

tod Dec 19th, 2007 10:00 AM

Kerouac - I thought I had died and gone to Heaven when I tried the New Orleans cuisine! Po-Boys Oh my my!!

suze Dec 19th, 2007 10:03 AM

Seattle, Washington USA

The salmon is very good here, so's the coffee.

Grinisa Dec 19th, 2007 10:12 AM

Chicago, Illinois. Deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's.

carolinetaylor Dec 19th, 2007 10:57 AM

Newcastle, UK.

A stottie bread with ham and peas pudding. I've never seen stotties anywhere else and i love a ham stottie when i go home.

More famous is actually a drink Newcastle Brown Ale, it is similar to champagne in the fact it has to be made in the region it is named after or otherwise it cannot be called that. Personally i think it tastes disgusting but it is world famous

crefloors Dec 19th, 2007 11:06 AM

Newcastle is my favorite beer, when I drink beer. I don't see any resemblance personally to Champaign, but then people taste things differently. Actually, it tastes like chicken!!!!:D

sharbear84 Dec 19th, 2007 11:12 AM

Grinisa beat me to my answer! Although I'm also technically from Washington, D.C. although I now live in Chicago so for D.C. I would actually say the Ethiopian food - it's one of the ethnic cuisines DC is most known for, and there's not really any indigenous DC food I can think of..

nolefan1 Dec 19th, 2007 11:15 AM

Live in B'ham...Golden Rule for the BBQ. Highlands Bar and Grill, Botegga, Chez Fon Fon all owned by Frank Stitt, our local world recognized chef. Superb dining!

From Tampa...must have Cuban sandwiches, deviled crabs and cafe con leche in Ybor City. The Best!!!

charnees Dec 19th, 2007 11:21 AM

The San Francisco Bay Area. Number one food to try is Dungeness crab in the shell, which is in season right now. Ask if it is fresh or frozen. If it's frozen, order something else. Have it with melted butter or mayo, but nothing else. It's too good to mess up with other ingredients. Except a good white wine to drink with it. (NOT white zinfandel!! Ugh.)

And artichokes. Same way of serving, although it's hard to find a wine that goes with it. The Italians also make wonderful baby artichokes cooked in white wine with lots of garlic and olive oil. Nothing else needed except some good bread to sop up the juices.

Charnee

DRJ Dec 19th, 2007 11:25 AM

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina and the shrimp boats are just off shore.

tcreath Dec 19th, 2007 11:54 AM

St. Louis, Missouri

BBQ ribs, toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake are all popular "St. Louis-style" foods, as are the Italian restaurants in The Hill

Currently living in Charlotte, NC where I like to eat

Soul food from Lola's and biscuits from Bojangles

Tracy

prue Dec 19th, 2007 12:07 PM

I am from a small rural town in Australia called Young - and our beef, pork and cherries and most other stone fruit would be our claim to fame!

DinPa Dec 19th, 2007 12:10 PM

Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, one hour northwest of Philadelphia. A butterscotch krimpet made by TastyKake of Philadelphia, a lite snack treat with the best butterscotch icing. http://www.tastykake.com/

Dave