Reload this Page >

1 Week Lisbon, Portugal - Solo Female Traveler

Old Jul 17th, 2016, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!

I will be staying in Lisbon from July 22 - July 28. I've never been to Portugal and will be traveling by myself for the first time (a bit nervous, but excited).

I wanted to do a few day trips from Lisbon. I love, love beautiful beaches that are great for swimming, any outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc.), walking around different, unique towns. The palaces look cool (ie, Pena Palace) but I'm not into museums. Love to try new food and cook - a cooking class would be awesome.

I live in NYC so I when I travel I like to see cities that do NOT remind me of NYC.

A few questions:

1. What day trips are feasible from Lisbon? Is Porto doable? Keep in mind, I have a high tolerance for long days and travel (ie, a 3 hr train ride super early and late for a day trip is okay -- I just want to make sure I'll be able to see a decent amount of the city).

2. What are some cool cities I should check out?

3. What are the best beaches for swimming?

4. Any good restaurant recommendations?

5. Any tour recommendations?
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I would not do Porto as a day trip. Maybe Evora or Obidos, definitely Sintra and maybe Cascais and Estoril. I don't count Belem as a day trip but it is a must-see.

Sounds like you need a guidebook.

Click on my name for my Lisbon TR, and even if you are not keen on museums, the Gulbenkian is a must.
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 08:01 AM

Sorry, I want to "mini-hijack" your thread but hopefully it will help you as well. I was in Porto for a day (cruise) and had one of the best meals of my life close to where the ship docked (not in the city). It was an open air grill with fresh whole fish, very casual and absolutely delicious. I will be in Lisbon for a day in Oct. and would like to find something similar.....is there an area / restaurant in Lisbon as described above.

Now to your question....we stayed out in Cascais for 5 nights on another trip. The beach is OK, maybe a bit closer to Lisbon, Estoril, the beach is nicer? We really liked staying in Cascais - much calmer than Lisbon, enough restaurant choices, and right on the water. We day tripped to Sintra from there by bus - very interesting scenery. Easy to get into Lisbon too. On my next trip to Lisbon I want to see the tile museum and find some tasty grilled fish!
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a "restaurant row" in Belem, a block towards the river from the main drag, where you can probably find fish. My go-to meal in Lisbon is chicken at Bom Jardim - no frills, but very good piri-piri sauce.
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Here is a few places to see in Lisbon:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment