Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1 week in Italy next Oct. Where to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1-week-in-italy-next-oct-where-to-go-741066/)

mominburbs Oct 5th, 2007 05:42 PM

1 week in Italy next Oct. Where to go?

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary next Oct. and he would like to plan a trip to Italy, perhaps Tuscany or the Amalfi Coast. Please consider the following:

- We only have one week.
- We are not set on Tuscany or Amalfi but we do not want to go to Rome. We want this to be more of a relaxing vacation.
- I think we will be disappointed if we go somewhere and leave thinking it would have been better if it had been warmer (beach weather). Also, if it is cold and rainy he will freak!

Any tips, potential itineraries, or suggestions of any type are greatly appreciated!

Marycang Oct 5th, 2007 05:59 PM

When you say 1 week, does that mean 9 days 2 W/E and 5 weekdays? 9 days equals 7 days on the ground. How many days in Rome? If you go to Tuscany would you rent a car? Amalfi is beautiful, but If you want to see everything it is not relaxing. Tuscany can be relaxing even if you visit several places. That is only our experience. Others may see it differently.

StCirq Oct 5th, 2007 06:01 PM

Umbria, Umbria, Umbria.....

mominburbs Oct 5th, 2007 06:20 PM

We do not want to visit Rome during this trip because we do not have the time to do it justice and would rather not have a city vacation. We can only be away from home for 7 nights. Also, I forgot to mention, we are from Chicago. THANK YOU for your input!

ready2travel Oct 5th, 2007 07:12 PM

The Amalfi Coast in October is absolutely gorgeous - warm weather during the day, cool enough for a light sweater at night, not overloaded with crowds. If you use Positano as your base, you can visit Sorrento, Capri (depending on the ferry schedules - they tend to slow down and/or disappear mid-October), Ravello (heartstoppingly beautiful), Amalfi, Pompeii and, if you care to travel a bit, Naples (for the Archeological Museum).

If you want THE best restaurant, in terms of ambiance, service and food, just ask.

ready2travel Oct 5th, 2007 07:15 PM

Ooops - forgot to add in the last sentence - "if you want the best restaurant FOR YOUR ACTUAL ANNIVERSARY DATE, just ask."

By the way, you will be totally relaxed on the Amalfi Coast. A leisurely breakfast on your hotel's terrace overlooking a spectacular view, strolls around the neighborhood, a cup of espresso, more strolling/window shopping/shopping, an outdoor lunch, reading the newest best seller at an outdoor cafe, a siesta pre dinner and a wonderful dinner with wine to conclude the day. Perfection.

SkippyW Oct 5th, 2007 07:30 PM

What about Como? It is very romantic!!!

tuscanlifeedit Oct 5th, 2007 07:43 PM

I am not sure that I agree with the other posters. It's not that I disagree, but that you seem sure that rain will ruin your trip, and don't want a city trip where more indoor activities would be available.

I have had rainy weather, especially in Umbria and parts of Tuscany, in October. We once had to buy coats in Perugia in early October.

If it is cold and rainy, your husband will "freak" and you will be disappointed if you go and it isn't warm enough for the beach. I am not at all sure that Italy in October is the right destination for you. It could be rainy and it could certainly be not warm enough for the beach.

I would suggest considering going further south. The further, IMO, the better. Puglia? Yes, it could be lovely on the Amalfi Coast, but beach weather is questionable. Have you checked any of the historic weather charts that are often cited here?

If it were me and I was dead set on a warm and relaxing October trip, I might think about other places than Italy, or parts of Italy where beach weather and a lack of rain might be more likely in October.

I'm not one to go all the way to Europe from the US and really want to relax. I think Rome would be great because of the variety of indoor options, as would Florence, or even our trip this month to Venice. If it is raining, I will be in the Accademia, the Correr, or any number of other galleries, churches and museums.

ready2travel Oct 5th, 2007 07:53 PM

Sorry, I missed the "beach weather" part but my husband and I must have been extremely lucky in October 2006 with our week on the Amalfi Coast. No rain at all (only the last day and evening in Rome, our final stop) and perfect weather to do everything, i.e., walk, sightsee, sit outside, relax on a terrace somewhere (if not on the sand) and enjoy everything without sweating.

tuscanlifeedit Oct 5th, 2007 08:16 PM

Ready2: The OP stressed weather as a factor, including "beach weather" and the fact that her husband would be very disappointed if the weather were cold and rainy. I just wanted to let her know that there are weather risks in October.

If my trip depended on good weather to be a success, I would give extra careful thought to my destinations. I think the AC is a better choice than Tuscany or Umbria for Oct. but I think if I wanted beach weather, I would still go farther south.

amadu Oct 5th, 2007 08:27 PM

Wherever you go, find nearby food festivals in October which is a good month for Italian food festivals, especially mushrooms, chestnuts, chocolate, and truffles. On October weekends, you'll find fall food festivals and wine harvest celebrations all over Italy. Also included are slow food's big International Event.

Jean Oct 5th, 2007 08:32 PM

Quoting StCirq: Umbria, Umbria, Umbria.

mominburbs Oct 6th, 2007 11:29 AM

thank you to everyone who has responded so far! If you have another destination suggestion (outside of Italy) I am up for it. We are trying to plan a special trip (not that Mexico or Hawaii aren't special...but...). We love good food and wine so that's what made us think of Italy. Again, I appreciate all replies!

bellini Oct 23rd, 2007 09:45 AM

Do not believe you will get warm sunshine in Oct in Umbria. We have just returned from a week in Orvieto and Spoleto. On Sunday in Perugia we had to buy gloves and scarves as the wind was freezing. Spello on Saturday was onloy 7 deg celsius. Sicily will certainly be warmer!

Jean Oct 23rd, 2007 12:29 PM

And in late October 2006 in Umbria we had beautiful sunshine and temps close to 70F every day for a week.

LJ Oct 23rd, 2007 12:38 PM

Quoting St. Cirq AND Jean: "Umbria Umbria Umbria, Umbria Umbria Umbria".

We spent a very special week in an Umbrian villa in October, near Assisi, about 4 years ago.

Beyond all the other reasons for going there any time of the year, I would add two more for autumn. The first is the joy at being there in the harvest season: so much amazing produce, and the festivals and great cuisine that go with all that. The second is the qulaity of the light, amazing...shimmering and gold.

I, personally, would never risk going to a place that is meant to be seen at its best in the height of the sun (like the Amalifi Coast) in a season where rain is a risk. It makes any precipitation doubly depressing.

rbnwdln Oct 23rd, 2007 05:13 PM

We just returned from Umbria last week on Tuesday. The weather while we were there was beautiful! (October 7 - 13) So, I second the vote for Umbria. We spent 3 days in Rome afterwards and it was glorious.

SusanP Oct 23rd, 2007 06:31 PM

The point is, you might get gorgeous, warm weather in Oct in Tuscany, Umbria, or Amalfi...but you might not. And you definitely can't count on beach weather in those places. From what you have said, weather is key to your enjoyment. As much as I love Italy (it's my favorite place, no matter what the weather), it might not be the right choice for this trip. Maybe you should consider Hawaii or Mexico!

bobthenavigator Oct 24th, 2007 05:56 AM

Hmmm ! Anniversary, weather, October---sounds like Positano or Santorini to me.