Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 night in Paris with my 9 year old son..where to eat

Apr 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Ok. I know more than 1 night is needed in Paris but that's all I have so if you had 1 night in Paris and wanted to eat somewhere great where would you go and take my 9 year old? We are staying in the 7th district and we will be there June 5th (Monday night). Thanks for all your help fodorites!
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Is it about great food or having fun? Not that they are mutually exclusive, but I would put a priority on the unique excitements of Paris, which for children often include the lit-up excitement of the Champs-E, nabbing a window table in a fishbowl cafe or a dinner cruise down the Seine.
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

It's about the food...fun will be being in Paris but I would love for him to experience great food too. He's not picky and will eat almost anything so I am looking for recommendations.
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM

If it is indeed about the food, I recommend Chantairelle, 5eme, 17 rue Laplace, phone 0146331859. This is recommended by a preponderance of guidebooks, and we loved it. My sometimes picky daughters turned down desert because, and I am not making this up, they didn't want a sweet to mess up the flavor that was lingering in their mouths. From the 7eme, you get on Metro line 10, and can get off at either Maubert/Mutualite or Cardinal Lemoine. But if experience trumps quality of food, I should think that the dinner cruise on the Seine would be tres cool. There is a nice sounding restaurant at the top of Tour Montparnasse, which is just as nice a view as the Eiffel tower, but the Eiffel tower is part of the view!
Also, if you can fit it in, the Catacombs are absolutely, hands down, the coolest thing you can see in Paris if you are a 9 year old boy. Forget the Eiffel tower, forget any museums, forget the cute French girls, if you are 9 years old, you gotta do the Catacombs.
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Oh, yes, rue LaPlace is one block north of the Pantheon, also easy to get to with bus lines 84 and 89.
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:19 PM

We have been to Paris twice and found out that the most reliable person to recommend this is the front desk or concierge. The French are reluctant to rcommend a restaurant and usually have a selected list. You only need a couple of words to get by - Hello, thank you and unless you wish forever to get the check "Le Additon pour Favor" Have a good time and experience the fun. Don't believe that everybody speaks English. When we fumbled the first night we ended up getting help from a French woman(with a little dog) who went to Boston College. Her suggestion worked well by just using "Bon Jour". Don't worry.
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I will look into all of the stuff mentioned.He is totally psyched about Paris. He's also going to visit his grandparents homeland of Hungary and Germany on this visit so I can't wait to experience it all with him!