Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 month honeymoon - Italy, Switzerland and Barcelona?!

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Please let me know what you think about my itinerary below for our honeymoon in October 2013.
Firstly, I know you are going to say it is too much! I know it is busy, we just can't justify taking anything out?! We originally did not have Barcelona, but we really want/need to go there (we run a soccer academy based on Barca's style of play so really need to get there). We are coming from Australia and given that we are planning on buying a new house and starting a family in coming years, won't be getting back to Europe for at least 5-10 years.
We would like to be in Milan on a Sunday to watch the soccer, and will be arriving on a Tuesday (morning), but other than that have no restraints as to order/length in each place etc.

Montreux – 2 nights (Tues, Wed)
Zermatt – 3 nights (Thurs, Fri, Sat)
Milan – 3 nights (Sun, Mon, Tues)
Venice – 3 nights (Wed, Thur, Fri)
Florence – 3 nights (Sat, Sun, Mon)
Rome – 3 nights (Tues, Wed, Thurs)
Barcelona/Spain – 6 nights (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed)

Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Where are you landing? Why Montreux? You probably could get to the high Alps (Zermatt) on the day of your arrival.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi Michael,

Flights are not booked but Geneva airport seems the best option, but we are open to other suggestions.

I like the look of Montreux because it is relaxed and I was interested in going on the chocolate train, although this is not necessary... Do you think it would be better if we spent all our time in Zermatt as opposed to visiting Montreux first? Keeping in mind our flight there is around 25 hours...!
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
jgg

I think actually not a bad itinerary. I would recommend cutting one night from Barcelona and adding to Rome (and I LOVE Barcelona) but I think you might be cutting Rome a bit too short. This advice comes without knowing how much time you will be spending in Barca doing soccer stuff, so disregard if you need the extra days for that.

Here is a link to my trip reports from some of the places you are going along with pictures. You may find them helpful:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/06/barcelona/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/0...in-milan-2010/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...eflorence2005/
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi jgg,

I haven't read all just yet but I have really enjoyed reading your trip reports! Thanks so much!

I am not 100% sure how much we will be doing in Barcelona (my fiancees job to organise) but will definitely consider adding more time in Rome.

Glad to hear the plan doesn't sound too crazy!
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think Vevey/Montreux is the perfect place to land and spend the first couple days!! It's a simple 1-hr or so train ride directly from the Geneva airport and sits fabulously located on the shore of Lac Leman with spectacular views out over across the lake. Good food, incredible local 'ambiance'.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Great Suze, thank you. I was hoping Montreux would be like that!