Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1 lunch, 1 dinner, 3 great choices in Tuscany. What would you choose? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1-lunch-1-dinner-3-great-choices-in-tuscany-what-would-you-choose-694179/)

rmeyer Apr 5th, 2007 07:37 AM

1 lunch, 1 dinner, 3 great choices in Tuscany. What would you choose?

I will be in the Montepulciano area for 1 night during my stay in Italy. I'll have time for 1 lunch and 1 dinner. After researching, it seems these three come up consistently: Trattoria Latte di Luna in Pienza, La Grotta in Montepulciano and Grappolo Blu in Montalcino.

First, do all of these serve lunch as well as dinner? Second, if you had to knock off one, which one would it be? I realize this is purely subjective but still interesting to know...thanks!

nma Apr 5th, 2007 07:39 AM

I've only been to Grappolo Blu, but it was an amazing dinner!

NeoPatrick Apr 5th, 2007 07:42 AM

Nice weather? Lunch in the garden at La Grotta is memorable.

Dayle Apr 5th, 2007 07:45 AM

Hi R,

I've been to both and both are good, but I had entirely different experiences.

I stopped in at Latte di Luna for a quick, spur of the moment lunch. I did not have a reservation and the host very grudingly gave me a table in the back by the kitchen, even though there were plenty of tables available.

I ordered just a simple pasta with truffles (devine!) and water, as I was driving and didn't want to have wine. The food was excellent, the service rude at every encounter. I know others have not experienced this, but I did.

Grappolo Blu - enjoyed 3 fabulous dinners here 3 nights in a row when staying in Monalcino. Luciano and Mariapia really know their stuff and the food was outstanding, service friendly and attentive, treated like a friend. Highly recommend!

jabez Apr 5th, 2007 08:41 AM

La Grotta in Montepulciano: Great for lunch. Dine outside,if you can,
Grappolo Blu in Montalcino for dimmer.
This may be my overall favorite restaurant in Italy. It's one of the best values and their picci is amazing.

rmeyer Apr 5th, 2007 09:06 AM

Great! Grappolo Blu for dinner and La Grotta for lunch was what I was leaning towards...I didn't realize you had to make reservations for lunch, I wasn't planning on that. Hopefully that is only for certain restaurants and not all?

LadyOLeisure Apr 5th, 2007 09:10 AM

If you definitely want to dine there, make a reservation. If you want to take your chances, go for it, but don't be surprised if you don't get it.

That is, unless you are going in February...

jabez Apr 5th, 2007 09:18 AM

I've had lunch twice (June and October)at La Grotta without a reservation,but I may have been fortunate.
I had one of my worst meals in Italy at Trattoria Latte di Luna in Pienza.
We had tried before to eat there at lunch,but they were packed.So we tried to get a reservation on our last trip.
They said "No openings,but come by early (Sunday) and we should work you in". We did, and with a continuing promise of "any moment" we didn't get to eat until close to 2pm. By then many selections were gone and everything we ordered was dried out and overcooked.

rmeyer Apr 5th, 2007 11:16 AM

Has anyone else noticed that when you do a web search for Grappolo Blu a few restaurants show up? Which one should I be looking for?

Ninkette Apr 5th, 2007 11:23 AM

I'll add one more recommendation for Grappolo Blu, it was wonderful. I don't know if they have an official website, but I found this:
http://www.montalcinoitaly.com/taverna.htm

rmeyer Apr 5th, 2007 11:34 AM

Yeah, I think that is the one. Thanks!

kialu Apr 5th, 2007 11:50 AM

Hallo,

I definitely recommend La Grotta. It is outstanding in any way you look at it(food, service and the place itself). As an Italian I really believe the food is great. By the way, they have an excellent selection of wines. Also, ask the owner to show you the wine cellar, it is a must.

Good luck
www.ItalyVip.com

Dayle Apr 5th, 2007 01:28 PM

R,

I think we are all talking about Grappolo Blu in Montalcino, Tuscany. Famous for Brunello. Grappolo Blu's traditional, hearty Tuscan food is made in heaven just to go with it! Or, is the Brunello made in heaven? Both, I think!

Buon apetito

MarciaMarciaMarcia May 18th, 2007 04:19 AM

We will be driving through the Val d'Orcia on Saturday, June 16 and will spend the night in Pienza. I have plenty of time to make a dinner reservations and wonder, after a long day of exploring and a fair amount of driving, would anyone consider the (what I have heard is a) short drive to Montacino for dinner at Grappolo Blu or would you suggest that we just stroll to Latte di Luna. (The comment about the attitude made me wonder).

I'm obsessing I know, but everyone seems to love Grappolo so much that I would hate to miss it if we are just minutes away. Also, just how many minutes is it from Pienza at night? If it is more than 15 minutes it probably makes sense to stay put and enjoy Pienza at night.

ekscrunchy May 18th, 2007 05:03 AM

The only one I have been to is Latte di Luna and I adored it; we needed reservations even for lunch on a Monday in January! But please realize that this is a casual Tuscan trattoria; there is nothing really unusual about the place other than its location in the beautiful village of Pienza. I thought the food was wonderful but it is not a fine restaurant with top-notch service; more of a busy rustic local spot. The daughter of one of the staff members was sitting at a table doing her homework when we ate there. I believe they close on Tuesdays.

MarciaMarciaMarcia May 18th, 2007 05:18 AM

Thanks so much ekscrunchy, your good word is all I need! The more casual trattoria will be just what we need after a long day. I'm sure that we will love it. I will also be sure to make reservations well in advance..... I think....like....now!

pmuzzy17 May 18th, 2007 06:18 AM

bookmarking.

rmeyer May 18th, 2007 07:47 AM

By the way, we ended up having lunch at Latte di Luna and Grappolo Blu. Both were outstanding. 2 of our top 3 favorite restaurants of our trip. Highly recommend, not to be missed!