Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1 Free day in Normandy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1-free-day-in-normandy-696764/)

asbachnate Apr 14th, 2007 07:43 AM

1 Free day in Normandy

Hello,
A friend and I will be arriving in Bayeux on the 22nd of April and will be staying for 4 nights. We are staying at Le Remparts, which seems to have received mostly positive reviews on this forum.

Since we are coming from Germany, I figure we will swing a little south and visit St. Michelle first and then check into our room later that evening.
We then have the two day American Experience Tour scheduled with Battle Bus Tours for the next two days.

This leaves us one free day to explore the surrounding countryside & villages. So, I'm looking for interesting villages, castles, scenic drives or any other suggestion to fill our last full day.

Thanks for the help!

Aleta Apr 14th, 2007 08:11 AM

See the Caen War Memorial Museum, it will be a huge prelude to your visit to Normandy beaches.

laverendrye Apr 14th, 2007 08:37 AM

Certainly the Mémorial in Caen is worth seeing if it is not already included on your two-day tour.

However, as you are looking for a day in the countryside with interesting villages, chateaux and scenery, you might consider a n excursion to the Suisse Normande.

You can find an itinerary in the Green Michelin Guide, but generally follow the Orne valley from Thury-Harcourt to Argentan. From Argentan, don't miss the Mémorial de Montormel. It's located atop a hillside overlooking the countryside where the last stages of the Battle of Normandy was fought in closing the Falaise Gap. Although dedicated to the Polish Armoured Division, it has a very good multi-media presetaation

laverendrye Apr 14th, 2007 08:41 AM

OOOPS--pressed the post button too early

Certainly the Mémorial in Caen is worth seeing if it is not already included on your two-day tour.

However, as you are looking for a day in the countryside with interesting villages, chateaux and scenery, you might consider a n excursion to the Suisse Normande.

You can find an itinerary in the Green Michelin Guide, but generally follow the Orne valley from Thury-Harcourt to Argentan. From Argentan, don't miss the Mémorial de Montormel. It's located atop a hillside overlooking the countryside where the last stages of the Battle of Normandy was fought in closing the Falaise Gap. Dedicated to the Polish Armoured Division which made a heroic stand on those heights, it has a very good multi-media presentation on the overall battle.

From Mont Ormel, the famous cheese village of Camembert is not far, and you should return via Falaise, where the Norman chateau that was the birthplace of William the Conquerer is located.

All in all, that would make a nice day's excursion and give you a bit of everything you are looking for.

asbachnate Apr 15th, 2007 03:12 AM

The Suisse Normandy sounds like a plan. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.