1 Day trip from Rome to Pompeii

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Glenda Nash

1 Day trip from Rome to Pompeii

I have clients interested in a one day trip from Rome to Pompeii/Mt. Vesuvius. Does anyone know of a tour operator that offers such a trip. Please advise..Thank you, glenda

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Dori

I believe American Express does (not sure). They are by the Spanish Steps.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:13 AM
joanneaj

Glenda, a one day trip from Rome to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius will be difficult to do unless you hire a personal driver. Try "DueGolfi" in Sorrento, at www.duegolficarservice.it We were quoted at $350 to $450 for a driver to take us from Rome to Sorrento, one way for six people for what I guess would be about a four hour trip. (We ended up taking the trains.)

If you do hire a driver, and money is not an issue, I would recommend this if your clients are willing to start early and pack alot into the day: Rome to Naples (2 hours), see the Pompeii treasures in the National Archeological Museum (1-1/2 hours) Naples to Pompeii (1/2 hour), explore Pompeii (2 hours), climb Mt. Vesuvius to the crater rim top (2 hours), Vesuvius to Rome (2-1/2 hours).

We actually did all of this a couple of weeks ago with our kids, except over several days. The climb if the volcano is spectacular - don't miss it!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Kent

You can book this tour through the American Express office, which as noted, is located by the Spanish Steps (I believe just to the south). It's a great trip, which I highly recommend. It was the highlight of my trip to Rome a few years ago.

Kent

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Walter

Glenda: I don't think any of the Pompeii bus tours offer Mt. Vesuvius in their tours.
I've been to Pompeii 4x, the 1st was on a bus tour. Below is my take on them.
<<<Author: Walter ([email protected])
Date: 04/12/1999, 05:28 pm
Message: My 1st trip to Pompeii was on a bus tour which I hated, but I'll try to positive. I booked it at the American Express Office in Rome. You had to meet at a central location ~7-8am, but they do drop you off at your hotel that night ~9-10. The bus had no bathroom and 1 front tire was *really* worn down (i'm a truckdriver). 1st stop was at a hi-way service plaza (15min). 2nd stop a Cameo factory. Then a drive *thru* Naples to let off people taking the ferry to Capri. Lunch at the tourist restaurant outside of Pompeii's gate. A 2hr (partial) guided tour of Pompeii. Back on the bus and a drive *thru* Sorrento and up the *mountainside* (it's raining now, bald tire flashbacks to a furniture factory. Back on the bus with 1 rest stop (15min) on the way back to Rome. BTW the bus driver and tour guide get kickbacks from the factory stores. Well so much for trying to be positive.>>>
It's a fairly easy trip on your own (~3hrs) with a change of trains in Naples and you are dropped off 50m from the entrance. Go to www.twenj.com click-on "Rome" and then "Excursions" on the sidebar. One minor mistake in the walking direction at the Naples Train Station. It's listed as the Garibaldi Station but it is actually the Centrale Station, same station just on different levels. Minor, at the Centrale you just go down 1 flight of stairs in front of Track 13 and turn left. At Galibaldi you go up 1 flight of stairs and turn right. Or just follow the signs. Also the prices are alittle dated. Regards, Walter

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Nikki

There is a shuttle bus from Rome to Pompeii offered by Enjoy Rome at www.enjoyrome.com. As far as I can tell there are no stops at factories or stores and the passengers are free to tour Pompeii independently. It leaves Rome at 7:45 AM and returns at 6:00 PM.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Glenda

Thank you all for your prompt reply to my question..You have saved me alot of valuable time this time of year. G

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:05 AM
arlene

If you find a good tour guide please email me the name. We will be arriving on a cruise at 8am, and we want to see Pompeii, and Sorrento with a private guide for 6 people. Thank you so much, Arlene