1 Day to Paris via Eurorail

Jul 27th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

1 Day to Paris via Eurorail

Any feedback on this one day trip from London to Paris?
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:08 PM
ira

Hi

Do you have a particular question?
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:28 PM

We checked into doing this and found that the schedule permitted so little time in Paris that it was not worthwhile.
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

I wondered whether the time permitted at least a sense of Paris - and if the guided tour showed the main attractions - any time for at least 1 museum or gallery?
Jul 27th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Maureens -

I've done a day trip to Paris from London twice and enjoyed the trips. I took an early morning train to Paris and an evening train back to London. I admit it's a long day, but I had about 7 hours in Paris each day and got to view some of the major sites without having to worry about hotels and luggage.

Martha
Jul 27th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Intrepid

It all depends on you, actually. If you take a very early train to Paris..I think the very earliest is about 5:15 AM...the trip has been taking three hours but apparently the roadbed in Britain has been, or is about to be upgraded, which will afford faster speeds on that portion cutting the actual, journey time to about 2 1/2 hours. And then take a late train back (between 8 and 9 PM I believe) you would certainly have enough time to get some sense of the city and even do a museum.
A LOT of people here may tell you not to do this because it doesn't give you enough time, you're shortchanging yourself, ete., etc., etc. but if the question you are REALLY asking is: "Is it doable?" The answer is definitely yes. Just don;t let anyone else dictate how you're going to spend YOUR time!

Jul 28th, 2003, 01:08 AM

Lots of us go to Paris on Eurostar for the day. Indeed, except during the summer, and on Saturdays the rest of the year, you'll find same day return prices exceptionally high.

A 7am train gets you in around 11, Paris time. Meander round the Tuileries or wherever, get a decent lunch - really the point of the trip - then hit a museum or the current blockbuster exhibition. Pastis in a pavement cafe, and the 7 pm-ish train back gets you into London round 9 real time.

Great day. Painless exposure to France. Do you see the real Paris? Probably not, but who's to say what the real Paris is?
Tiring? Well, you've spent six hours sitting on a reasonably comfortable train.

Let me put it this way. If I was on holiday in New York, thought it unlikely I'd be back in North America much, and Mexico City was a three hour ride away, I'd be tempted to invest a day in a side trip.

But with transatlantic airfares rarely more than three days' wages for most of us, why would I assume it unlikely I'd cross the pond again?
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:18 AM
ira

Hi Maureen,

If you will never return to Europe, it is worth doing. However, it is a long, rushed day.

I suggest that you start planning your Paris visit when you return from London.
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:12 AM

I've done this trip a couple of times and say go for it. Why not take one of those tourist 'Hop On/Hop Off' buses. You'll get a good tour of the city, can get off for lunch somewhere, then back on. Or a boat trip along the Seine if its warm. Don't plan on visiting too many sights, and unless there is a specific exhibit or show you want to see, I'd stay away from the big museums (long lines to get in--big crowds etc).
So take the earliest train in and plan on the 7pm -8pm(ish) back.
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:58 AM

MaureenS,
Yes, it is very possible to make this trip. Depends on your stamina, how long the day could be, but you can plan lots of cafe stops during the day if needed. Depends on what you want to do as to how "rushed" you will be.
I took my sister to England a couple of years ago and decided she had to see Paris since we were so close and she had never been. We got in at 11 AM, took metro to the Louvre where we ducked in to check on Mona, had lunch at a restaurant in the Palais Royale courtyard, shopped there afterwards and then the trendier shops like Colette etc. Took taxi to Place Vendome (about $4) and went to the food emporiums to ogle and aaaahhh, had tea. Walked over to a friend's office on the Champs Elysees, went with her to Budda Bar for cocktails, took taxi to Gare du Nord for 9:00 train, arrived London 11 and in bed by midnight. We had a ball!!!
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:07 PM
jon

I'm doing this same daytrip in Aug. and wondered if it was a good idea. People give both spectrums of opinions on this site, but ultimately, we decided to do it, and I'm really excited. We're fast sightseers, and we more want to get the experience of being in Paris than seeing everything there is to see (which is impossible even for a few days). Our intinerary is arrive at 10:45am, take the hop on/hop off bus tour to drive around the city, actually go to Notre Dame, St. Chappelle, Louvre (very quick), and Eiffel Tower. No eating in restaurants--it will take too much time. We'll just buy food at a market and eat in a park. We're actually even considering a quick trip to Versailles (call us crazy!). Train home is 8:45pm. While you may want to go back for a longer time, you never know what will come up to prevent it. So I say, go for it!

BTW--we booked through Eurostar tours, and the ticket included the hop on/hop off bus tour. Great deal! Check out: eurostar-tours.com/ParisTour.html
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great input - I have decided to take the day trip to Paris - I am travelling on my own so tend to be a quicker sightseer - I will brush up "sur la francaise pour le jour"!!!