1+ Day Stopover: Paris or Rome

Old Mar 13th, 2019, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1+ Day Stopover: Paris or Rome

Hi, we can either do a ~1.5 day stopover in either Paris or Rome on the way back from North Africa to the US. We'd fly into either Paris or Rome at about noon, have the afternoon and the next full day to sightsee, and then fly out the morning after. That's one full day plus a short 1/2 or 1/3 day. Season will be early May.

Not sure which city to choose. I've seen both cities as a kid; wife has never been to either. Obviously 1.5 days is not enough to get a real feel for either city, as we'll mainly be running around doing all the usual touristy stuff. So, my main concern is which city is more conducive to a whirlwind check-the-boxes sort of 1+ day trip. Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 02:57 AM
J62

We did the same kind of stopover a few years ago and chose Rome.

We had 3d on the ground, both of us have been there before, so we didn't plan or do any whirlwind trip but rather just enjoyed a few days of slow travel and walked everywhere we went. With 1 to 1.5 d in Rome you'd have time for a drive by of Colosseum/Forum, Vatican, and a walk around the historic center, but not much more, and to be efficient at that you'd need to take a taxi to get from place a to be to c. I do not think you'd have time to wait in any lines for entry, perhaps except to stroll through St. Peter Basilica if you want.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Either would be great . . . but logistically, I think Paris would be easier to get a taste in 1.5 days. So many of the major sites are concentrated in a relatively small area along both sides of the Seine from the Eiffel tower across to Notre Dame and a bit beyond. By staying somewhere in the 1st through 7th Arrs you be walking distances to most of them. Of course you'd only have time to see a small # of sites, but even if you just walk around and take a Vedettes du Pont Neuf boat ride you could see a lot.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 08:17 AM

I don't think it makes any difference, just what you want. Rome isn't that spread out either or large, and you can't walk to most sites if you stay in the 7th in Paris, either. You won't even be within walking distance to most sites if you stay in many parts of the 1st-7th, unless you plan to walk miles to them. The bottom of the 6th is over 2 km from many of them,, so is the bottom of the 5th, for example.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 08:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>The bottom of the 6th is over 2 km from many of them,, so is the bottom of the 5th, for example.<<

jeeze - Did I say the 'bottom' of either? Of course not. If one is staying in the eastern bits of the 7th (wouldn't be my choice) the northern parts of the 5th/6th, most of the 1st and 4th and southerns parts of the 2nd and 3rd . . . one absolutely would be walking distance to many many more sites than one could see in a week let alone 1.5 days.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 08:45 AM

I also don't think it would matter. Our first visit, many years ago, to both places was on the way out after a visit to my Dad and Mom who had rented a villa in Umbria My Dad and Mom took us to Rome one day to show us around, walking from the Coliseum to the Vatican. The next day we had a train to Paris in the evening and spent a chunk of the day seeing some sights. We went to the Vatican museum, St. Peters (even stood two feet from Saint (Pope) John Paul II when he made an unscheduled visit there), saw many of the other sites including the Coliseum. In Paris, in the time you have, we went to Notre Dame, the Louvre (due to a strike, the place was open for free and there were maybe two employees in the whole place), walked the Champs and more. Yes, there were fewer crowds 20 years ago and fewer lines (we viewed the Mona Lisa without anyone else around). So, it's really what you want to do.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

So, we decided on Rome. Seemed like looking at art museums in Paris under the stress of a rushed trip like this wouldn't be pleasant. Walking around Rome seems better.

We're thinking to stay within 5-10 mins walk of Termini in order to waste as little time as possible getting around. Good idea? Can anyone recommend a good sub-$100 budget hotel around there?

Also, thoughts on a route? We're thinking to hit the Vatican (square and basilica ... skip the Museums) on the first afternoon. And then, on the second day, do a self walking tour of everything else.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 09:33 PM

Once you've settled on a hotel just go to Google maps and mark the hotel. Then start adding the various sites of interest. Pick the farthest and have Google plot a route. The first day that's the Vatican. You'll likely see various other sites on your list and not more or less along the route. Adjust your route to include them.

Depending on your dates Domus Helena might be in your budget. It's modern with all that implies. Good breakfast. Not too far from Termini. Safe,clean , very good breakfast
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Once you've settled on a hotel just go to Google maps and mark the hotel. Then start adding the various sites of interest. Pick the farthest and have Google plot a route. The first day that's the Vatican. You'll likely see various other sites on your list and not more or less along the route. Adjust your route to include them.

Depending on your dates Domus Helena might be in your budget. It's modern with all that implies. Good breakfast. Not too far from Termini. Safe,clean , very good breakfast
Thanks for this. Looks like Domus Helena is $75/night for our 2 nights, but it's a 15 minute walk from the train station which I'm not sure is conveniently walkable with luggage. Looks nice but I'm not sure if it's too much of a hassle?

EDIT: this price is apparently for a single, and they're sold out of doubles. Oops.

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Mar 17th, 2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 10:30 PM

Most places nearer the train station are less nice. I think that's the PC term. Read the reviews of any place you pick closely
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 08:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
A bit over your stated limit but in a good neighborhood. I've stayed twice & had no trouble walking with luggage to/from Termini, 1 rolling suitcase + day pack.
Hotel Giuliana Rome ? Official Site ? 2 Star Hotel​​​​​​

For a better value consider checking Airbnb. There are loads of rooms nr Termini. Last visit I opted for Trastevere, Airbnb apartment, but also looked at a number near Termini. For less expensive rooms consider along the tram lines to Trastevere Station, also on the way to FCO, if that's what you're thinking. The trams run through the area to various sites in the center. I used them a lot & love them.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Most places nearer the train station are less nice. I think that's the PC term. Read the reviews of any place you pick closely
Yep, looking at reviews very carefully. Hard to find a place with solid reviews and no complaints about mold.

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
A bit over your stated limit but in a good neighborhood. I've stayed twice & had no trouble walking with luggage to/from Termini, 1 rolling suitcase + day pack.
Hotel Giuliana Rome ? Official Site ? 2 Star Hotel​​​​​​

For a better value consider checking Airbnb. There are loads of rooms nr Termini. Last visit I opted for Trastevere, Airbnb apartment, but also looked at a number near Termini. For less expensive rooms consider along the tram lines to Trastevere Station, also on the way to FCO, if that's what you're thinking. The trams run through the area to various sites in the center. I used them a lot & love them.
Yeah, way above our budget. I've been checking AirBNB too. It's not necessarily cheaper because a lot of places have very high cleaning fees that drive up the price substantially for two nights.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:13 AM

There are some very nice hotels very near Termini station. In fact there are hotels in all ranges, from 5* to youth hostel. The five-star Exedra is right across from the station, on Piazza della Repubblica. There are three large four-star hotels, in the "faded-glory" category, all in the Bettoja chain in which I've stayed, a stone's throw from the station, even closer than the Exedra. These often have excellent discounts to fill empty rooms. My preferred of these is the Bettoja Mediterraneo, which has an excellent breakfast buffet and a rooftop restaurant, partly indoors and partly outdoors. (The restaurant is somewhat overpriced, and there are better options in the neighborhood. Another 4-star hotel very near the station is the Unahotels Decò. I've never stayed there, but I've often eaten at their very good restaurant.

If I'm in Rome for a very short time, which is often, I prefer to stay near the station. I use Booking.com to find a room, and put in as the destination, "Roma Termini". You can select the type of lodging you prefer, and you can sort the list by guest rating, by price, or by distance from the destination. I've also stayed in some very basic lodgings in this area, but they were all clean and reasonably comfortable. The area is safe. I prefer the area to the southwest of the station, and wouldn't choose a lodging too far away.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Considering these two hotels: Biancaluna B&B & Armonia All'Opera. Locations are on the map in the link below, and I'd appreciate if anyone has any insight on which is a safer/better or more convenient part of Termini. The hotels are similarly priced and both have similarly good reviews on TA. Thank you

https://goo.gl/maps/utN9JhCD8hH2

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Mar 18th, 2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 02:33 AM

I would prefer the location of the Armonia all'Opera. It's convenient to restaurants and there are plenty of people out and about at night.

Both locations are safe, but the other location is more a neighborhood of takeout food and small shops.