Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 Day in Sorrento Port...need to chose activities?

Jun 19th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

We will dock in Sorrento from 9:00am to 6:00pm and need to chose activities. We have a private guide/car for 4 of us lined up but not sure where to go. I was leaning towards Pompeii and driving the Amalfi Coast, still leaving a little time to look around Sorrento. Does this make sense? I guess we'd be eliminating Capri with this plan. We've never been to this part of Italy before and really open to suggestions. Our guide will take us wherever we want. We are not doing any ship excursions or "do our own thing" in this port. Thanks for any suggestions.
Jun 19th, 2003, 12:52 PM

Have your guide give you some recommendations for that day. They are professionals, assuming you chose a professional, and can gage from weather, traffic, crowds, etc. which place or area would be the best bet for the day you are there.
I would chose a drive down the Amalfi Drive all the way to Ravello and stopping in the different towns and having a nice lunch.
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:07 PM
ira

Hi pet,

Are you interested in antiquitie and history? - Pompeii

Are you interested in scenery? - follow the coast.

You might be able to arrange for a drive to Ravello, be dropped off in Amalfi, and take the ferry back to Sorrento.

The traghetto schedule can be found at http://www.jpmoser.com/ondaverde-d.html
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:09 PM

The previous post is correct. You need to go with what interests you the most. We loved Pompeii!!! Also hired a private driver to take us along the coast and visit all the cities. Very much enjoyed the scenery and the towns. If I had to pick between the two I would go with Pompeii but I love ruins and ancient history. Also you need to decide how this day fits with the rest of your itinerary. Either way you can't miss!!!
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:58 PM

Depending on what you like to do on vacation,

1) Drive to Positano and enjoy the view, then through Amalfi to Ravello. Have lunch at Netta's, buy some dishes at Margarite's, visit Villa Rufolo and don't miss Villa Cimbrone and the gardens there, then back down and if you have time, go to Pompeii.

Reverse it if Pompeii is a priority. Skip Ravello and have lunch at Le Sirenuse in Positano.

If you love history and ruins, then don't miss Pompeii and the fabulous museum in Naples. You might also want to go to Herculaneum and skip the scenic tour. However, Positano and Ravello are very beautiful and a sight to see! Have a great trip.
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Don't do Capri. I visited on a day trip and it was a nightmare.
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:21 PM

Capri a nightmare??? You must be one of those daft relatives of W. Capri is one of the most magical places in the world.

Hey, but don't fret. My mother doesn't like it either. ;0 Ciao
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Is it just too long a day to try to do both Amalfi Coast and a short time in Pompeii? Based on my interest, the Amalfi Coast may be more to my liking. Thanks.
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:37 PM

I agree with previous posters. Take a vote of the four of you: Pompei, Capri or Amalfi Coast. (I myself would vote in that order...)

Jun 22nd, 2003, 05:26 AM

Petlover - It's quite easy to visit both Pompei and at least part of the Amalfi Coast (e.g. Positano) from Sorrento.

If you plan on having a driver it's even easier - though it's also quite feasible by public transport.

You may not have time to go to Ravello, but you could certainly divide your time between Positano and Pompei, leaving a little time also for Sorrento.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:41 AM

I agree with the Texan !
Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:54 AM

I agree with John G; Capri is magical. However, I find that the magic there kicks in in the evening for me, after the daytrippers start thinning out. So, I would not recommend doing a day trip to Capri! I know lots of people who have seen it this way and enjoyed it though...so that's just my two cents.

If you like gardens and beautiful scenery, I would suggest you have the driver take you all the way to Ravello and as WanderingTexan said, visit Villa Cimbrone. We hired a driver to take us for the Amalfi Coast drive from Sorrento, much as you would, in May 2001. I'm not sure if the gardens ever do get crowded, but we had the place almost all to ourselves. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen; truly out of this world.

Lastly though, if you are a history buff, then go to Pompeii! We also very much enjoyed the National Museum in Naples, which contains many of the frescoes and mosaics from Pompeii.

But whatever you decide, you can't lose...there are so many fun things to do near Sorrento!
Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:17 AM

I think a number of you folks are "crazy". Pompeii, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi, Sorrento all between the hours of 9am and 6pm? Are you going in the dead of winter? 'Cause if you aren't, traffic will require you spending half your time in the car.

Pompeii is a minimum of 4 hours between getting there, having a decent tour and getting back. You are on the Amalfi coast --- if you've never been before do the drive at a "leisurely" and unstressful pace --- you are in Italy after all.

Start at the belvedere at il Deserto in Sant' Agata sui Due Golfi just above Sorrento. You'll be rewarded with a dual view of the Golfi di Salerno and Napoli. (Ring the manastery doorbell for the key to the tower. Leave a small donation of 5 euros for the nuns afterward.)

Next drve to Positano for lunch. Have the driver deposit you "up top" at the cut-off and walk down through the town because it will save you time.

Around 230 pm drive straight to Ravello. Do not stop in Amalfi as there is not enough time. I agree with the poster who said Villa Cimbrone is a must --- it is breathtaking.

Return to Sorrento. You will have a wealth of memories.

Remember, if you feel compelled to stop for the rest of the day in 1 place --- do it! You can always plan a return trip.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the very helpful information. I think we've decided to forgo Pompeii and hopefully will get back to do this another time on a land trip.

We really want this to be a relaxing vacation, a day driving the Amalfi Coast sounds marvelous. Out of curiosity, is the scenery similar to driving the PCH coast drive up/down the California coast? That is magnificent (but kind of scarey too). Thanks!
Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:18 PM

Petlover

Good analogy. The PCH is stunning but perhaps "broader" and more rugged in it's vistas. The Amalfi drive is more intense and "concentrated" in its sensory (and sensual) appeal. The Amalfi is way less scarey than it was when I first drove it as a teenager 25 years ago (e.g. no guardrails in some spots). It twists and turns much more than the PCH but the road is good. The only tricky part is the road up to Ravello where in places it is only 1 lane wide. But this drive is worth it. You are lucky you have someone else doing
the driving because you can enjoy the stunning scenery stress free!

I highly recommend "O'Guarracino" for lunch in Positano. The setting is lovely, the food very good and the prices reasonable.

If you need a articulate, reasonably priced driver, call --- Claudio Astarita 011 39 081 8783792 Cell phone is (330) 947382. He lives in the area (he was our private guide at Pompeii) and has a minivan.

Enjoy!
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:30 AM

There are some Amalfi Coast pictures on this site:

www.capri-exclusive.com

I think I might be wary of going as far as Ravello personally. Beautiful as it is, it's a near 2-hour drive each way on a good day - and can be rather longer in high season.

If you do go, I'd probably go there first (- for lunch, maybe ...), then return to Positano. You really don't want to risk a drive back from Ravello late afternoon with a 6p.m. deadline. Just my opinion ...

Have you considered doing part of this trip by ferry/hydrofoil? It can be quicker ...

Steve