1 day in Florence - itinerary help

Jun 6th, 2005, 10:52 AM
JAS
Original Poster

1 day in Florence - itinerary help

I will be in Florence for a total of 1 day (1 afternoon - I arrive at 1pm) and depart at 4pm the nexy day. Any suggestions of what to do? We would prefer to spend our time walking around outside- and would like to see as much as we can in the short time.
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Even though you said you'd like to stay outside, I'd call for a reservation to see David. Do a search here for it. The phone number has been posted and you can get a reservation before leaving.

Your route should depend upon when you have that resrvation.

The sites I would go to are (not in order of preference)

The Duomo (go inside if no line)
Piazza dela Signora (the main square in town) and right next to the Uffizi Museum.
Pont Vechio and the outside of the Pitti Palace.
If you then walk a few blocks along the other side of the river (the side opposite the main part of town) you can take a city bus up to Piaza Michaelangelo for spectacular views of the town and a snack. Walk down the meandering steps and paths back to the town.

It appears you have a bit more than a complete day. Florence is really a small town.

If you have good weather and don't spend time in any lines to get into museums other than David, you should be able to pretty well se the town.
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:51 AM
JAS
Original Poster

Thank you - we arrive on Sunday and I had heard that the David was closed Monday so that's why we were planning on skipping it- but I will check into it.
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Searched and found the telephone number from a previous post. See below.

I would imagine it would be closed on Monday. I believe on Sundays it's open until almost 7PM with the last booking time around 5:30PM or so.

If you book for some time between 4 and 5:30 PM you should be fine.

Spend a few hours walking the sites and then see David. Then back to the sites and finish the next day.
= = = = = = = = =
Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

Jun 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM
JAS
Original Poster

THANK YOU!!
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Add Piazza Santa Croce and the church there.There is a leatherworking school
there,which is fun to see.Afterwards,ask Dov'e Vivoli? and you will be directed to the best gelato in Firenze(and possibly anywhere else!)
Jun 6th, 2005, 02:55 PM

I was in Florence for about half the time you were, and arrived at about the same time -- 1 p.m.

By 2 p.m. I had dropped my bags at the hotel, by 3 p.m. I was at the top of the Duomo, by 4 p.m. I was standing in front of David, and by 5:30 I was looking at The Birth of Venus and other art at The Uffizi.

We left fairly early the next morning -- by 10 a.m. we were on the way to Rome, but our "speed tour" of Florence was all it could have been -- I saw the major sights, we also enjoyed a nice dinner and drinks in town, and felt lucky to have been able to stop by and see what we could in the few hours we had.

I know I could spend more time in Florence, but it is a small town and you'll find you can see a fair amount with 1 afternoon and the whole next morning to see things.

I always tour with the addage "Assume you'll be back". That way you see the important stuff (to you) and won't panic about not ever having another chance.

Happy travels,

Jules
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:48 PM

If you want to be outside, the markets are fun and a picnic in the Boboli Gardens is lovely.
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM

We spent one day in Florence and hated it. We called to make reservations to see the David and Uffizi etc and they told us they were booked until end of July! Hopefully you will have more luck then us and will enjoy it much more then we did. We recommend Sienna instead!
Jun 7th, 2005, 04:53 AM

JAS -- I think it does make a difference as to *when* you're going. We went in October, after the crowds and before it got too cold...and we didn't have reservations anywhere. Our wait in line was only significant at the Uffizi, and that was for 45 minutes.

When are you going?

Jules
Jun 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM
JAS
Original Poster

We will be there during busy season- July! We pre-ordered tix to teh David for 5:30PM on our first day. Should we try and do Uffizi same day? How much time should I plan to spend in both? I dont need to see everything but dont want to feel rushed.
Jun 8th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Without being rushed you can do the Accademia (with David and Prisoners) in about an hour or so. I'd plan for about 2 hours in the Uffizi.
Jun 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM
ira

Hi JAS,

Reserved tickets for the Uffizi in July are very difficult to get.

See if your hotel can get some for you.