Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1-Day Drive: Ballyvaughan to Dublin, which of these 3 routes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2016, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During our stay in Ireland we'll be driving from Ballyvaughan to Dublin on one of the days. Never having been there before, my favorite route is...

Ballyvaughan - Bunratty Castle - Rock of Cashel - stop at a pub in Abbeyleix or Durrow - Dublin

This comes up on maps as a 4-hour drive.

My alternative northern route, driving the M6 with a stop at Newgrange, comes up as a 4-hour drive as well. My third option of visiting Glendalough on the way shows up as 4 hours, 25 minutes.

(This is on Halloween - which is the last day of a holiday weekend, so I don't know if extra traffic will make the driving time longer)? Also, our car rental is due back at 7:00 pm.

Is my favorite route practical? Or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so very much!
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 03:38 AM

If you drive as fast as I might, hypothetically of course, then 4 hours is possible, no toilet breaks, no photo stops, no 30 in a 80 zone traffic ect ect.

I assume your rental is dropping DUB airport. but it will be dark by 7pm anyway.

Personally and bearing in mind I live here the temptation might be to see what the weather is like at the end of October. Then possibly via Cashel and Glendalough if it's a brilliant day (but a long one)

For a normal Oct/Nov day. Head to http://www.irelandtravelkit.com/kilm...bey-co-galway/ then Loghrea and take the road to Ballinasloe for the M6 just before you get there (avoids the Toll @ Loughrea and saves 5+ miles . If not Kilmacduagh the tourist choice would be Clonmacnoise? Possibly next Athlone and lunch in Seans Bar (oldest in Ireland?) Or call into http://www.irelandtravelkit.com/vip-...-co-westmeath/ and then head for http://www.belvedere-house.ie/ en route to the Airport.

Makes for a more relaxed last day and probbably a few photo's nobody else on your flight home has.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 10:19 AM

While your drive via Limerick is certainly taking the "scenic" route, your stops at Bunratty and Cashel are nicely spaced out from each other.
Castle Durrow is a pleasant place for a bite to eat but stopping off for a toasted special in Morrisseys in Abbeyleix is one of life's true pleasures.
If you were making good progress and there was still some light left in the day, you'll be passing close to the National Stud and Japanese Gardens outside Kildare town, as you near Dublin.
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your time and advice Tony and SeeDee, I truly appreciate it! I am printing out your info so we can decide when we get there, based on the weather and how we feel. It is great having long and short options - and I hadn't heard of Kilmacduagh... it sounds lovely!

Thanks again!
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 02:14 AM

Maybe a bit late, but anyway:
Another option could be to follow roughly the M7 corridor once you got to Limerick.

Take M7 towards Dublin until you get to Birdhill (exit R494)

Follow R494 along the Eastern shoreline of Lough Derg with cute/quaint Ballina/Killaloe, great vistas till you get to Nenagh. Nice market town with great views from top of castle/ tower.

Nearby "Obamatown" Moneygall - with its somewhat quirky rest area on M7, devoted to those 15 minutes of fame the small village had some years ago.

Next stop Roscrea (castle, round tower, very compact town centre).

Further towards Dublin.. via N7 or M7, depending on how much "speed" you need till you get in the area of Portlaoise (Emo house, Rock of Dumasne).

Next stop Kildare (see above: Japanese Garden, National Stud)

From there only a short drive to DUB airport via M7/M50.
(How to pay M50 toll should be asked your rental car company)

There are no big tour bus sights on this route (execpt maybe those in Kildare) - so it's more a backcountry route on which you can add and delete stops more or less at your own discretion.