Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   1 Day & Nite in Vienna/Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/1-day-and-nite-in-vienna-help-155502/)

L. Schwartz Aug 5th, 2001 10:54 AM

1 Day & Nite in Vienna/Help!

After a Rhine/Danube cruise, we will have one day & nite to spend in Vienna. Will have had a city tour the day before. Staying at SAS Palais. What to do? See? Where to eat well, but not necessarily terribly expensively in City Center? Help!

s.fowler Aug 5th, 2001 11:03 AM

You'll love the SAS Radisson Palais -- I stayed there in '98. You are a good way around the "ring" -- but if you plunge towards the center of the city, St. Stephen's is only 5 minutes away on foot. <BR> <BR>As for eating -- here are two suggestions with comments. <BR> <BR>A Tavola <BR>Well it`s not Viennese:) I can take only so much central european food before I rebel! It`s a charming place with dripping candles in wroughtiron candlelabra and filled with young and trendy Vienna. The food is good -- it`s a nice break from the local food. [Note: It`s just across the street from the VERY fancy and expensive restaurant `The Three Hussars.`] On our last visit the food and service had slipped a little -- but it was still very pleasant and a nice change! <BR>1010, Weihburggasse 3-5 <BR>The restaurant is right next to Hotel Elizabeth Kaiserein and very close to Stephansdom and Kartnerstrasse. <BR>Tel: 512 79 55 -- Fax: 512 79 55 1 <BR> <BR>GRIECHENBEISL <BR>Despite the name this is a traditional Viennese restaurant next to the remnants of the old city walls. A restaurant has been on this site since 1487 or so! The food was well-prepared and presented and not all of it was heavy. A lovely, atmospheric place! The name comes from the Greek Orthodox church nearby. <BR>Fleischmarkt 11 <BR>Phone: 01/533-1941 <BR> <BR>As for what I'd do.... I'd go to the Kunsthistoriches Museum to see the Bruegels and the Italian Renaissance paintings... then I'd wander down the Ring to Cafe Landtmann for a coffee and a pastry:) The shopping street, Kartnerstrasses isn't far from your hotel either if you go straight in to Stephansdom on Weihburggasse.

s.fowler Aug 5th, 2001 11:04 AM

Cafe Landtmann is very near the city hall.

Linda Aug 5th, 2001 02:24 PM

Coffee & torte at Demel's, weiner schnitzel at Figlmuller's (off the plate). Both are close to city center. If you check nethotels.com, they have events information as well as hotel info.

Betty Aug 7th, 2001 12:12 PM

Echo the Kunthistorischea Museum - one of the great ones in the world. I also loved the Secession building, the Ring, Schonbrunn,the museum of 19th and 20th century art for works by Klimt and Schiele - obviously too much for one day but you can make your choices depending on your interests/tastes. A Viennese coffee house is a must for the atmosphere. Do and Co. Restaurant has a gorgeous view of St. Stephens and an international menu. There's also a good Hungarian restaurant, Ilona-Stuberl which was inexpensive and good.

BTilke Aug 7th, 2001 12:39 PM

A second for Tavola. I usually stay at the Kaiserin Elisabeth hotel next door. The wine is very good at Tavola and most of the menu items are good too, but we were disappointed with the spaghetti with olive cream sauce, one of the house specialties. Tavola is usually booked, so have your hotel reserve a table for you. <BR>A restaurant we like even better, though, is across the street--I don't have the full name in front of me, but it's known as the White Chimney Sweep (in English). I eat there every single time I'm in Vienna (5 times in the last 18 months) and have never been disappointed; excellent food (especially game), wine, service, and atmosphere. Moderately priced. The simplest way to get to either of these restaurants from your hotel is to walk to the opera, then down the Karntnertrasse. Weihburgasse is on your right; turn in at the store with the Mont Blanc sign. <BR>BTilke <BR>P.S. Leaving for 8 days in Austria on Friday, staying in the countryside about 40 miles from Graz.

L. Schwartz Aug 8th, 2001 07:19 AM

Oh thank you to all you wonderful people who responded to my questions! Your learned, intelligent responses have whetted my anticipation & given me a much-needed plan of action for a limited stay. My only problem is trying to decide on which of the wonderful restaurants you recommended to go to! Everyone should have such a problem! Thank you again for your help!!! Lisa