Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 day (and a half maybe) in Cambridge, England

Mar 28th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

I have to go to Cambridge in early May for a friend's wedding. Effectively, I'll have Sunday and probably most of Monday morning (I have to check times for the bus back to Stansted) to see a little bit of the city. Since I didn't really choose this as a holiday destination, I really don't know what to see, especially what would be the top priority with such limited time. I suppose some of the colleges are interesting and open to visitors? Is there anything else worth seeing/doing? Anything historical/arty would be great. I'm not really a "punting on the Cam" type.

I would ideally like to have lunch in a pub somewhere central where I can watch at least part of the Formula One race as well, suggestions for that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

PS just in case that sounded really negative, it's not that I think Cambridge won't be lovely, it's just not my all-time dream destination or whatever, so I don't really have any big "must-sees" and am open to suggestions
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:53 AM

I should think you'd like the Fitzwilliam Museum on Sunday afternoon: http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/visit/openinghours.html
Mar 28th, 2011, 02:39 AM

Even if you are not religious, you might like Evensong at
Kings College Chapel
http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/events/chapel-services.html

The building is very beautiful and the choir is world famous
Mar 28th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - the museum looks great. Not sure if I would be able to make it to Evensong too (Evensong? At 3.30? ) but I will bear it in mind as an option!
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM

I'm not sure if any pubs would be showing the formula one racing, i could ask around if you like (Cambridge being my home and all lol)
Mar 30th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

That's very sweet of you! (Sorry for delayed response). By all means if you're popping in somewhere and you remember, that would be lovely, but please don't go out of your way!
Mar 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM

As you said early May, i'm guessing its the Turkish Grand Prix yep? and don't worry it's not a problem
Mar 30th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Since you asked about a pub, you might be interested in a pub called The Eagle. It has a bit of unusual history in the RAF bar. A group of World War II airman used candles to write their names and notes in wax and/or smoke on the ceiling. The owners preserved it and covered it with plastic, so it is still there today. Food is OK also, and it is close to University and town center.
Mar 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM

When we were in Cambridge, it was a chilly, wet day and we stumbled into a pub for a break. Lots of people were eating really wonderful looking food - Shepherds pie, sausages, potatoes, cheeses, so we ordered a Plowman's Special and a Shepherds' pie and a couple of pints and were totally blissed out, sitting in front of a fire. I'm always one for checking out places where people seem to be eating and happy.

You can do a nifty "self-tour" of Kings' College. (Things are marked pretty clearly.) The chapel was built by King Henry the VI, VII, VIII and Richard III. Also a pretty cool little round "Normal" church.
Mar 30th, 2011, 04:43 PM

If you're interested in a guided walk, the tourist office offers several. We went on a general tour and also Darwin's Tour and enjoyed them both. Information is at www.visitcambridge.org.
Mar 30th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

fredandgingermad - Yep, the Turkish GP indeed! Go the McLarens! Thanks so much!
And thanks everyone else for the suggestions too, might be spoilt for choice at this rate!
Mar 31st, 2011, 01:20 AM

I did a day trip to Cambridge from London. Took the open top hop on/off tour bus which is a good way to get familiar with the city and surroundings. It went by the American Cemetery with graves and memorials to thousands of WW II American airmen. There is also a major war museum a few miles out but I didn't get there.

Ditto Sassafrass. Go to the RAF bar at the Eagle and look at the ceiling.
Mar 31st, 2011, 05:28 AM

Kettles Yard Gallery in Cambridge for a really interesting small art gallery & Kings College and 'the backs' are a must. Not sure the market will be on Sun/Mon but worth a visit if it is.
Mar 31st, 2011, 06:01 AM

On sunday the market has lots of art and craft and independent stalls nicer sometimes than going during the week
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:32 AM

Any of the pubs which show football might well have the Grand Prix on. Off the top of my head The Avery, The Dobblers(!) and The Maypole all have sports on.

http://www.cambridge-pubs.co.uk/

(The Avery is what used to be the Hogs Head, I think).

But honestly - if you only have a day in Cambridge, don't spend it in front of the telly - visit one of the colleges, or the Fitzwilliam Museum, or go for a walk along the river and grab a quick pint at one of the riverside pubs or bars.

PS FredandGinger - hello fellow East Angulan!
Apr 1st, 2011, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

RM67 - F1 is *very important*
But seriously, I should probably make the most of my time and not watch the whole race, but since I have to have lunch anyway, might as well watch the start and see how it goes from there if I can find a pub. Thanks for the suggestions.