1/2 price ticket board in London

Jun 25th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Claudia

1/2 price ticket board in London

Has anyone recently taken advantage of the 1/2 price ticket booth in London (like TKTS in NY)? I wanted to find out what show are coming up on the board. It'll help me decide whether I should buy tickets in advance or play it by ear and wait. I'll be there towards the end of July.

Jun 25th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Vita

I was in London in May. If you're traveling alone, I think you have a pretty good shot at getting good tickets, but it depends on what you like. I wasn't interested in musicals so I didn't notice if there were tickets available for My Fair Lady, Phantom, etc., but I doubt it. I used the half-price ticket booth to see:

Art
Woman in Black
Noises Off
Stones in His Pockets

Jun 25th, 2002, 07:50 AM
christine

I was in London for a couple of weeks in May and used the 1/2 price booth in Leicester Square twice. We wanted tickets to Chicago, but they were completey sold out, but did see Noises off and The Full Monty. They had a wide variety of shows, but if there is something particular that you want to see, I'd buy your ticket in advance.

Jun 25th, 2002, 08:18 AM
janis

Claudia: You can't tell what shows are "coming up on the board" because the offerings chabge day to day. Some shows are almost always available and others are available some days of the week.

To give you an idea of what is offered here are the 1/2 price tickets last Saturday"

MATINEE
Abba Mania
Art
Bedroom Farce
Benefactors
Blood Brothers
As you Like It
Caught in the Net
Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)
Constant Wife
Fame
Full Monty
Humble Boy
Jesus Hopped the 'A' Train
Kiss Me kate
Lieutenant of Inishmore
Marc Salem's Mindgames
My One and Only
Noises Off
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Rose Rage
Stones in his Pockets
Taboo
Umoja
Vagina Monologues
Woman in Black

EVENING
Abba Mania
Art
Bedroom Farce
Benefactors
Blood Brothers
Caught in the Net
Chicago
Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)
Constant Wife
Distance from Here
Fame
Full Monty
Humble Boy
Kiss Me kate
Lieutenant of Inishmore
Noises Off
Marc Salem's Mindgames
My One and Only
Prayer For Owen Meany
Rose Rage
Stones in his Pockets
Vagina Monologues
Taboo
Tempest
Umoja
Woman in Black

Jun 25th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Claudia

Thanks Janis. That's exactly what I wanted to find out. I know that the board changes daily/hourly but now I have an idea what kind of game plan I need to have.

BTW: Has anyone see Taboo?

Jun 25th, 2002, 12:33 PM
erica

sorry can someone fill me in on this, i'm going to london in two wks and was wanting to see a show or play in london; are these booths anywhere or at certain locations? Also do they have these booths or anything similar to this in Paris?

Jun 25th, 2002, 12:43 PM
KC

There are alot of discounted booths all over the place, but only one "official" one in Leicester Square not far from Trafalger Square. I use it every time I'm in London.

I also waited in line at the Theatre the morning of the performance and got Full Price tickets to Lion King. You probably need to be the first 10 folks in line for that performance. HOWever, the guys sitting next to me the night of the performance bought the tickets from "scalpers" outside the Theatre for less than the regular price of the ticket. They bought the tickets just as the performance was to begin. I'm not recommending this, but telling you what happened.

Also the unofficial booths, which I have never used, have been used by folks that I know and it worked out fine for them.

Jun 25th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Vita

Erica, Go to the free-standing booth in the middle of Leicester Square labeled TKTS. There are several other booths in Leicester Square, but that's the official one.

Jun 25th, 2002, 01:05 PM
stacy

We saw Taboo this spring and enjoyed it. I'm about 20 years too old to have been a Boy George fan in his heyday, but this is a pretty good musical in its own right, with clever songs (I think a lot of them were written explicitly for the show, with a few oldies thrown in) and a uniformly strong cast. (I think you'll just miss seeing Boy George himself - he takes over one of the roles in August.)

Jun 25th, 2002, 01:19 PM
erica

oh thanks for the info people, i'm getting all my notes together and my traveling buddy and i will be setting up our very own itinerary for our trip, thanks again!

Jun 28th, 2002, 06:55 AM
anita

We just got back from London & used the TKTS booth. They have 2 lines, one for night shows & 1 for matinees. They told us that if we got there by mid-day we should get good seats. They open at 10 am. We got tickets for Complete Shakespeare.It was 17.50 pounds and there is a service charge, similar to what Ticketmaster does here, I guess. We had great seats & the show was hysterical. Geared very much to Americans but we all enjoyed it (2 adults & 2 teens). We had to wait because the theater hadn't released all the tickets for sale yet. Seems they did it in spurts. But that night the place was filled. We had stall seats 7-11J. Very good view. There is a good place to eat right near the booth. I think it is a pub called Moon over the Water or something similar. Also in the free publication London Planner they had some discount coupons for shows. We could have gotten tickets with their coupon for the show that was 2 for 29.50 pounds.That would have been direct from the box office.