Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Zuiderdam Dress Code (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/zuiderdam-dress-code-550082/)

JaiOfChi Aug 8th, 2005 05:45 AM

Zuiderdam Dress Code

Hi All - We'll be cruising with HAL on the Zuiderdam in September and I'd like to know about the dress code for dinner in the dining room. The literature mentions several formal nights, but what exactly does formal mean? And what about the other nights? Are gentlemen expected to wear jackets every night? Just want to make sure I bring the right duds! Thanks!

Leona Aug 8th, 2005 06:43 AM

We took that cruise 4th of July week. We had a great time (I posted a trip report, if you're interested.)

My husband, at my insistence, brought his tuxedo & I wore short cocktail dresses on the two formal nights. (2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise; 3 informal; 3 casual) We renewed our vows on one of those nights & had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. Our dress was very appropriate. That said, there were many men in suits & even sport jackets & ties on formal nights.

Formal means a suit or tuxedo.

Have a great time.

juliaelzie Aug 8th, 2005 03:39 PM

Hi,

Actually, formal nights have really changed. Some people, like Leona, still enjoy really dressing for the
occasions and that is wonderful!

However, in the cruise industry, our generally accepted information is that dress on formal nights are fairly flexible, as long as you don't wear shorts, bathing suit or tee-shirt to dinner. Many gentleman are happy with a tie and shirt and ladies are fine with a nice blouse, dress skirt or slacks and dress shoes. Other ladies wear a dress and gentleman wear a suit jacket. Other guests wear the tuxedo and formal gown. You will see someone wearing anything within that range on the ship.

You will be fine as long as you aren't wearing your bathing suit, shorts, jeans and are wearing a modest business casual at the very least.

Best Regards,
Julia

Leona Aug 9th, 2005 05:49 AM

According to the HAL literature, "formal" is still defined as a cocktail dress or gown for ladies; and tuxedo or suit for men.

I would say that a majority of the 1,800 aboard adhered to that definition, and it was very nice to look at.

andy Aug 13th, 2005 05:19 PM

Jai-

Formal is either a dark suit or tuxedo...
If you go in shirt and pair of pants,you will feel like a fish out of water ( no pun intended)...

Informal nites normally mean sport coat (but you do not need a tie)---sometimes this is adhered to and sometimes it is not...

Casual means khakis and sport shirt or polo shirt-no jeans....

HAL caters to a older crowd and they tend to dress-up a little more than a looser ( as in dress) line like Carnival or RCCL...

Curt Aug 18th, 2005 08:07 AM

A shirt and tie and pair of pants is NOT formal. The cruise lines should not even let people into the dining room dressed like that. The desriptions say TUXEDO (and all accessories) or a DARK SUIT with shirt and tie. Note it DOES NOT say jacket/coat optional, it does NOT say sport coats are OK. If you do not want to dress appropriately then go to the buffet or choose a ship that is fully informal at all times.

jagger Sep 15th, 2005 01:08 PM

We were just on Zuiderdam in August and I had the same concerns. My husband wore a light tan summer suit on formal night and he looked just fine. I dressed like I was going to a wedding. Everyone wore all different things and we felt like we fit right in. You really didn't notice what anyone was wearing once you actually sat down for dinner. We changed after dinner before going to the disco.

jake165 Sep 15th, 2005 03:19 PM

Why not go by what is laid down in the literature that was provided to you which you referenced from HAL.

jacketwatch Sep 15th, 2005 03:34 PM

We seems to have what is recommended by the cruise line and what is actually done. What cruise lines strictly adhere to dinner dress codes? A friend of mine who has cruised Celebrity >50 times told me they will seat you even if you are not w/i the guidelines (unless its ridiculous) but as you leave they will politely inform you of proper attire for the next time.

jagger Sep 15th, 2005 05:47 PM

"what is laid down in the literature" was one thing and what the HAL representative explained to me on the phone was another. Regardless, just because my husband was in a nice light colored summer suit doesn't mean that we were dressed like slobs. We both looked very nice and appropriate which was exactly my point. As long as you are wearing a suit and tie and are dressed nicely you will be just fine.