Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your choice-best cruise line for the Mediterranean?

Oct 31st, 2002, 08:40 AM
Liz

Looking for a fantastic cruise line for the Greek Isles? We would like a relaxing high quality line, we are not party type people. Always wanted to go to Greece and see the Mediterranean, thought a cruise might be it. Any rec's?

Oct 31st, 2002, 11:30 AM
Diane Mac

I would look into Windstar Cruises.
www.windstarcruises.com
They have some nice itineraries around Greece. I like the Athens to Venice trip. We did a Windstar cruise in the Carribbean and it was fabulous- they are smaller ships. Pricey, but worth it.

Oct 31st, 2002, 12:39 PM
M.B.

Liz, a most fantastic cruise to the Mediterranean would be SEABOURN--their lit "triplet" yacht's are floating 6* Ritz Hotels! A cruise on Seabourn is life changing---and sooo much fun! The camaraderie and fellowship among the guests, Officers, staff and crew is unsurpassed! We cruise Seabourn twice a year....it's 'la docle vita!

Oct 31st, 2002, 03:19 PM
sandy

My vote goes to the Radisson Diamond. They are doing 7-day itineraries next summer between Athens and Istanbul that hit all the high points: Rholdes, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Santorini, Mykonos -- everything you want to see. The prices are reasonable and they include your wine with dinner, all soft drinks and bottled water, and NO tipping!

If you want a longer cruise and a truly cultural experience, visit the website for Swan-Hellenic: www.swanhellenic.com. These people do a fabulous job. they have just bought one of the Renaissance ships and are transforming her into Minerva II. I have sailed with this cruise line and was very impressed. Feel free to email me for more info.

Oct 31st, 2002, 07:50 PM
Andy

Liz- I highly reccommend the Windstar cruise line also-- particularly the Windsurf as it is a larger ship-330 passengers-
Low key-casual elegant clothing-no tux needed-FABOULOUS food and terrific ports---

We did the Med from Rome to Nice on the Windsurf and loved every minute of it--

Oct 31st, 2002, 10:48 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Liz,

My favorite for an all-around cruise experience was Silversea. For the best Greek experience I liked the Olympia Explorer. The Explorer let us visit many ports in seven nights.
Quite a speedboat.

Paul

Nov 4th, 2002, 05:16 AM
rita

I would agree with Paul. For a Greek experience on and off the ship choose Royal Olympic. The dining room staff and all the officers are Greek. Make sure to book the Voyager or the Explorer ships (newer than the others) and a room with a balcony. I wouldn't cruise the Greek Islands any other way.

Nov 4th, 2002, 01:27 PM
David G

I would also say Windstar lines if you like a casual but elegant ship. No ties or jackets needed. Otherwise Radisson Seven Seas or Seabourn if you want to dress for dinner.