Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Your best tip for a new cruiser (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/your-best-tip-for-a-new-cruiser-670220/)

eileyann Jan 14th, 2007 01:06 PM

Your best tip for a new cruiser

Hi - just wondering if any of you have a favorite tip for cruises. Perhaps a not-to be-left-behind item or a must-do-on-board ship activity or advice while off ship. It's been about 10 years since I was on a Carribean cruise and I'd love to get your advice. Thanks!

desertduds Jan 14th, 2007 01:32 PM

Pack alot of extra hangers!!

spurs Jan 14th, 2007 02:03 PM

On every cruise we got as many extra hangers from room attendant as needed, so most likely it would be a waste of space. My advice is to do as much advance reserch on port trips as you can, it always pays off to save money and time.

juliaelzie Jan 14th, 2007 02:40 PM

Get involved! Enjoy the activities, talk to people, read the daily schedule and try to do as many activities as you can.

ParrotMom Jan 14th, 2007 04:57 PM

The best tip that I have been given and spread over the net for over 10years is simple.. go to Walmart and buy the cheapest shoe bag with mesh..not vinyl.. You hang it over the bathroom or a closet door and your able to put all those little things like shampoos, deck shoes, lotions, clothes pins and all those little necessities..It folds up flat and goes on the bottom of your suitcase. When y ou go to pack to go home.. put everything you had put in the bag.. in a zippered bag and then the next trip whether it's a cruise or not..your all set.

kfusto Jan 15th, 2007 07:32 AM

I would advise the opposite of Julie. Unless you are keen on always having to be doing something, I suggest taking the time to jsut enjoy the ship and the ocean and not fill every moment full of activities.

I am not a participant in group games and such and avoid the shows and such. I like to enjoy live music and a book on my balcony, followed by a nice dinner and dancing.

Do not feel obligated to do all that is offered.

bjboothman Jan 15th, 2007 07:50 AM

Have you already chosen a particular cruiseline and itinerary?

Whether you have or not, go to www.cruisecritic.com and find out all there is to know about the ship, deckplan, cabins, amenities, dining options, entertainment etc., and then read up on the ports of call so you know if you want to book excursions or just hang loose.

I believe that half the fun is in the planning, and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know on the message boards at cruisecritic.com

Hold Jan 16th, 2007 11:43 AM

As a psychologist, my advice is to do what I do... make up your mind that you're going to enjoy yourself, and then do!

I have been on dozens of cruises and had a ball on every one.

I'm amazed at how often I've been on a cruise having fun, enjoying myself, loving the food and shows...and then sit down to dinner with others who do nothing but complain and look for things to complain about. (In my business, we call these people "job security".

You paid a lot and deserve a great time, so in short... make up your mind that it's your time to relax and enjoy... and then DO!

Have fun!

ellenbw Jan 16th, 2007 12:03 PM

Pick a ship and itinerary that is right for you and your travel companion(s). Want every luxury and amenity ... or a casual, party atmosphere? Few kids around or plenty for your kids to play with ...

Do you want lots of sea days to relax and enjoy the ship and lay by the pool with a good book or do you want a new location and activity each day? Do you want to zipline above the tree line and scuba dive, or do you prefer spa treatments and cooking classes? Do you love to dress up and have a formal dinner ...or not! I think if you pick the right ship and itinerary and activities for you, then you will have a fabulous time. And don't sweat the small stuff!

fmpden Jan 16th, 2007 02:18 PM

Hold -- we have been on six cruises and they have all been great -- even one the went on a complete different route than we thought we had selected. Your comments were so on target. Your comment triggered the memory that we have encounter one of those folks on every trip. Some were so unhappy that it was actually funny.

joan Jan 17th, 2007 01:46 PM

Try a leisurely breakfast in the main dining room. So nice to start the day that way.

And when it's your dinner time, try to arrive about 5 minutes after the hour. That way you don't feel like a piece of cattle being herded to the food trough, you can enjoy how nice everyone looks seated at their tables as you stroll through the dining room.

If you are with a group, and you go ashore to find a taxi etc, let one person do all the talking, the rest just enjoy the wait. Much nicer than having an eight way decision!

Arizona07 Jan 18th, 2007 05:54 AM

LOVE room service breakfast. Just fill out the ticket the night before, hang on your doorknob & that's your wake-up call too!

irecommend Jan 18th, 2007 06:47 PM

Buy sea bands for your wrists. You may not feel sea sick at all but we found that as soon as we left the boat at the first stop we started to feel sea sick and within 20 minutes of putting the sea bands on we felt better. You might as well bring them with you. If you dont need them thats great

wow Jan 18th, 2007 08:33 PM

Kfusto & Ellenbw & Arizona07: I am looking for a cruise that has "lots of sea days to relax & enjoy the ship" and sit by the pool w/ a good book ! Which cruise line company do you recommend? Looking for luxury & a balcony & room service breakfast!

kfusto Jan 19th, 2007 02:31 AM

wow, try a transatlantic on HAL. Or an extended caribeean cruise on Oceania.

If you want a seat by the pool on sea days, forget RCI, NCL, CCL and the rest.

wow Jan 19th, 2007 11:26 AM

Thanks, Kfusto! Caribbean Oceania sounds perfect! Is Oceania the name of the cruise line or the ship? I am going to call my travel agent this weekend so pls post back & let me know if you get a achance

eileyann Jan 19th, 2007 02:48 PM

Thank YOU to everyone. I've picked up lots of valuable tips - any more? You are wonderful to help out. Thanks again! -Eileen

bobrad Jan 21st, 2007 12:55 PM

It may sound silly but I storyboard and it works..

I make believe I get to the cabin and plug in my short extension cord with the extra outlets called a power strip. Then I plug in my small portable fan , iPod speaker , night light , battery charger , cord for my cpap machine. Tell the cabin steward to empty the refrigerator so I'll have room for my meds I don't mention my mixers (hee hee)

Then I gargle and brush my teeth before shaving and taking a shampoo and shower.

In the meantime I write down everything that I mentioned or used.

Do you intend to take pix. Extra batteries , chips , tripod carrying case.

Just take your time and think about what you're going to do and what you'll need to do it.

Happy Cruising !!!

BronxGuy Jan 22nd, 2007 07:27 PM

Check the price of the cruise on the cruise line's website right up to the day before the cruise. I booked a 13-day Panama Canal cruise last October for $1269 each. Travel agents stop checking for price reductions (if they ever do in the first place)after the tickets are issued. I checked the line's website 2 weeks before sailing and the price had dropped to $799. Got a refund. I checked again 2 days before sailing and the price was $599. Another refund. Bottom line the refund for both of us $1340. Man, did we enjoy that cruise for $90 a day - total for the 2 of us.

wow Jan 22nd, 2007 07:31 PM

I don't understand. How do you get a refund after you have paid? I wish the airlines wld do this!