Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Would you recommend going on an Alaskan cruise with a one year old? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/would-you-recommend-going-on-an-alaskan-cruise-with-a-one-year-old-362566/)

susan1 Oct 1st, 2003 09:46 AM

Would you recommend going on an Alaskan cruise with a one year old?

My husband and I would like to get away for our 5 year anniversary, but will have a one year old with us.

I know that generally this is an older type crowd, would people be offended if we bring a one year old? My husband and I enjoy hiking and will just put the baby on our back and hike with him.

We have always wanted to see Alaska.

Can someone please give us some honest advice. We would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

gotribe Oct 1st, 2003 01:19 PM

To me, that isn't "getting away" if you still have to take care of a baby. We left our 1-year old with grandparents when we went on vacation. Of course, it's your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it.

RachelG Oct 1st, 2003 03:46 PM

If I were going on a 5 year anniversary trip, I wouldn't take my 1 year old (and if you look at my previous posts, you'll see that I take my kids with me almost all the time). An anniversary trip should be romantic and for the two of you. If you can't get grandparents to baby-sit for that long, take a shorter weekend trip for just you two, then you could go to the beach or somewhere more appropriate for a baby with the one year old. I'd save the Alaskan cruise for when the baby is older.
If you just want to hike, skip the cruise, stay in a nice hotel, take the kid with you and put him on your back in a backpack. A great place to do this (and very romantic as well) is Lake Louise in Canada--we went when our youngest was one and had a great time. We stayed at Chateau Lake Louise--they even have a baby sitting service for a romantic evening dinner without the baby.

susan1 Oct 1st, 2003 04:05 PM

Thanks for your replies. You are right, when the time comes, we will get away just the two of us and leave our one year old with my Mom and Dad.

If it is for a week...GREAT. If they will only do 4 or 5 days, then that will have to do.

Thanks ladies!

BudgetQueen Oct 5th, 2003 04:02 AM

I have to agree, a cruise will not be a "treat" for you with a 1 year old. Most likely there will be intolerance with dining and no enjoying the extended time and courses. Is a "nanny" an option??? Perhaps a sister, another couple etc that could go and allow you time for yourselves?? One year old's are a difficult age and can be highly disruptive- just choose carefully. Alaska for me is extended time viewing scenery, wildlife- involving a great deal of time, again probably not doable with a small child??

MauiMaui Oct 27th, 2003 07:47 AM

An anniversary should not include your kids! That's what birthdays are for! Let the grandparents keep the baby and have a great time!

petlover Oct 28th, 2003 10:00 AM

I agree that it may be a better more relaxed vacation without the baby. On the otherhand, you may not enjoy yourself away from the baby while he is so young. I was miserable once when I left my 9 month old daughter and cut a weekend trip short to hurry home.

When I've cruised with small children and babies on board they were often the center of attention and seemed very well behaved. It's the older kids and teens that cause havoc sometimes. I doubt if a baby/toddler would do anything but entertain fellow passengers!

abram Oct 28th, 2003 11:17 AM

Cruise cabins are often quite small, and I think it would be hard for any of you to get a good night's sleep. For me, it would be hard to sit in the cabin while my baby napped.

snorkelman Oct 29th, 2003 05:14 AM

And yet another vote to leave the 1 year old at home. I am only 30, and I promise that many other people on cruises have very strong opinins about kids. There are the typical "grumpy old men" who just hate kids, period.

Regardless of what group you fall in, most people will agree that you should probably not bring a 1 year old on a cruise unless you got the cruise for free, have no friends or family and cannot afford a sitter.

Rachelle Oct 29th, 2003 05:46 AM

See our previous comments under the post "children and Alaska".

Wednesday Oct 30th, 2003 11:01 AM

Also keep in mind the rates....many lines charge you the same rate for adults or kids, even as a 3rd person. Is it worth paying al that extra money when he may not be able to enjoy it all so much now ?...just a thought....Have fun either way !