We booked our first cruise! Now what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We booked a four night cruise on the Carribean Princess in May out of Fort Lauderdale with stops in Turks and Caicos and Princess Cay, Bahamas. We've done our pre-registration on-line and are planning on pre-booking our excursions.

I'm unsure as to how dinner works...can you sit by yourself...how dressed up to you have to be? Since we've never cruised before any other tips appreciated. Many thanks

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 10:59 AM

You have a choice at dinner. You can have an assigned table with the same people every night at the same time (early,1st- 5:30ish or late, 2nd 8:15-8:30) or do the Anytime Dining. That is when you go to that dining room at 'anytime'. You can request a table for two at either dining room. Or, you can go to the buffet at any time or order room service. The only charge for room service is a tip to the waiter who brings your food.
You will have one formal night - tux or dark suit for men, cocktail dress/slacks for ladies. But some men just wear a jacket & slacks. On other nights men wear polo shirts and dockers - no shorts in the dining room at night. Ladies wear dresses or pants and nice top.
We like sitting with and getting to know the same people every night and definitly the 2nd seating! Then you don't have to rush back and get dressed. And there is ALWAYS food available so no matter what time you eat at home, you will never get hungry on a cruise!
Princess is a good choice and you will find yourself planing another cruise before you get off the ship! Next time do a minimum of 7 days!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:14 AM

You are going to have a great mini-vacation! Did you book your cruise with an agent or direct with Princess? The cruise line loves you when you board but cannot be bothered to answer these questions after you have given them your money. That is what your agent will take care of. Contact me for more information.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM

When we've cruised we've booked our seating beforehand. After trying both early and late, we prefer late. That way, if we get in from an excursion late, we still have time to rest or go to the gym before dinner....we just found 6:30 to be too early.
Our last cruise was on Norweign and we liked being able to eat at anytime..no formal seating..the only drawback is no regular dinner companions...another tip I would say..bring your own bottled water...why pay too much? Also...a power strip was a great idea since most staterooms have only one plug...I loved having that..
have a great time.
If you are divers, be sure and dive in Turks....beautiful
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM

I know everyone is going to go nuts on this, but the first thing that pops into my mind is, ask the cruise line this question: "How is the waste, especially the human waste,from this ship disposed of?" I've been researching this question online, and it's pretty shocking. I know that "poop happens," but that cruise lines are allowed to dump all the waste (whether treated or not) directly into the ocean is so surprising! I don't want to spoil your trip, but also, I do want to create an awareness.

So OK everyone, have at me!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM

This is just not true, Sandals! The waste that is garbage is not dumped. It's collected, kept cold, and disposed or recycled at stops.

The human waste... well, what do you think, where your own waste goes? Gets cleaned up and back to you? No, it gets dumped into an ocean, whether you are at home or on a ship.