Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Why no Non Smoking rooms like hotels offer??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/why-no-non-smoking-rooms-like-hotels-offer-202120/)

nonsmoker Apr 19th, 2002 04:03 AM

Why no Non Smoking rooms like hotels offer???

A couple of years ago, we cruised on Carnival and our cabin was VERY, VERY smoke filled. The ship was full so they offered a machine which really did no good. <BR><BR>I understand the Paradise is smoke free, which is nice but just 1 ship.<BR><BR>With the huge growth and fabulous new ship... why not nonsmoking cabins... or am I missing something???

Rhea Apr 19th, 2002 04:35 AM

Maybe Carnival doesn't have no smoking but for one, NCL does.<BR><BR>there are also no-smoking-policy lines you may sail. Paul could tell you which they are. <BR>Paul?

Paul Therault Apr 20th, 2002 01:58 AM

<BR>I wish I could. There is only one non-smoking ship and that is the Carnival Paradise. Carnival is finding it difficult to fill this ship and that is why the price is low. They are changing the intinerary this year to perk interest. All ships have no-smoking areas such as all showrooms, dining rooms and some lounges. There are no ships (other than Paradise) where smoking is forbidden in the staterooms. I have not heard of many complaints about odor since the filtering system is massive. Probably the system was not operating when "non-smoker" was aboard. Let's hear from others.<BR><BR>Paul

nonsmoker Apr 20th, 2002 07:34 AM

The problem with our cabin was from smokers on earlier cruises... some how the smoke stays in pillows and mattresses, chairs, etc.<BR><BR>I am very allergic to smoke.<BR><BR>I wish the cruise lines would set aside a few cabins that are nonsmoking... treat it like the handicap ones. I would pay MORE money for one. <BR><BR>Now I have a fear to spend that kind of money and be miserable again!<BR><BR>It really surprises me because cruise lines like to compare themselves to resorts at sea... I have never stayed at a hotel that didn't have a nonsmoking room!!!<BR><BR>I don't mind smoke in certain lounges. The dining area should be nonsmoking. But the worst is having old smoke in a cabin - you can't get away from it!<BR><BR>Thanks for your replies... looks like Paradise it is!

Paul Therault Apr 21st, 2002 01:36 AM

<BR>I guess you are correct. There might be a smoke odor in the bedding and drapes if there was a very heavy smoker in the cabin previously.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Theresa Apr 21st, 2002 03:58 AM

I am also alergic to smoke and have surprisingly have not had problems in any of our rooms.<BR><BR>None of my rooms have smelt of smoke - I consider myself very lucky! I am not sure how they do it.

Judy Apr 21st, 2002 03:43 PM

I to am highly allergic to cigarette smoke and have been on 25 cruises and have never had a problem with a cabin smelling of smoke. I always wonder how they purify the air so well, because I certainly have had problems in hotel rooms.

nonsmoker Apr 21st, 2002 05:57 PM

Congratulations Judy and Theresa! Wish I could have been that lucky - but BEWARE! This was our 8th cruise... we have always been cruise fans... but now we have a different point of view. <BR><BR>Judy if you have had that problem in hotels... you know how bad it can be. It is not that different of an environment... smoke stays in bedding, curtains, chairs and carpeting. With hotels (if they can't give you another room) you just check out and head to the next hotel where you can get a smoke free room. Unfortunately, jumping ship is not an option!<BR><BR>So unless the cruise lines open their eyes to the CABIN smoking problem... as most hotels have... the person that is allergic to smoke is at high risk. and THAT is a shame!<BR><BR>I'm not asking that they eliminate smoking on the entire ship... just offer nonsmoking cabins. How hard is that???<BR><BR>It just amazes me that the cruise lines seem so behind the times in this area. Wonder why?<BR><BR>I would like to see them as leaders in the "resort" business! <BR>

Paul Therault Apr 21st, 2002 11:01 PM

<BR>Hotels can operate efficiently at less than capacity and just about always do. I doubt a cruise line will ever have non-smoking specific cabins since they must attempt to fill their ships at any cost. If they have say 20 cabins left on the ship and they are all non-smoking they will have to get 40 non-smokers to fill those cabins. <BR><BR>Since they are operating without a problem now I do not think they will change their policy. <BR><BR>Paul

nonsmoker Apr 22nd, 2002 05:42 AM

Hi Paul,<BR><BR>I appreciate your comments. I agree that the goal of the cruise lines is to make a profit. My thought is with SOME nonsmoking cabins... the profit will increase!<BR><BR>It was interesting to me that you thought it would be difficult to get 40 nonsmokers--- Here's some numbers from the CDC web site:<BR>"The Friday, October 12, 2001, issue of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) contains a study titled “Cigarette Smoking Among Adults — United States, 1999.” According to the study, adult smoking rates fell from 25 percent in 1993 to 23.5 percent in 1999, and preliminary data for 2000 and for the first three months of 2001 indicate that rates will continue to fall to 23.3 percent and 22.3 percent respectively."<BR><BR>This indicates the over 75% of the adult population does NOT smoke!!!<BR><BR>Why not dedicate SOME of your cabins to the MAJORITY of the population???<BR><BR>Sorry, I still don't get it.

Paul Therault Apr 23rd, 2002 02:06 AM

<BR>I agree but I am not the cruise lines. Their marketing people make the decisions.<BR><BR>Paul

Honeydizz Apr 23rd, 2002 08:00 AM

I am also allergic to smoke! I wear a filter mask everywhere I go. Of course I can't eat in restaurants-- the mask, y'know-- couldn't eat anyway, so I don't care if they have smoking in them or not. I have taken to staying inside my home most of the time anyway because I am allergic to so many other things out there. I just leave my AC on and I am fine. Of course, it was difficult trying to work from home, because I am a brain surgeon, but eventually my patients started to warm up to idea. I put an O.R. in the den and things have worked out great. I hardly ever have to be exposed to anything now. It has put a damper on my social life. You see I am allergic to human hair, skin and any sort of bodily fluid. too. Thank God for latex!! Oh wait, I forgot, I am allergic to that as well. I have to use those latex free gloves for surgery, but I think I am developing an allergy to them as well. Any suggestions from you hypchondriacal, er I mean allergic people out there.

linda Apr 23rd, 2002 08:45 AM

As a musician, I have been exposed to way too much smoke in my career. Now, I have permanent larynx and bronchial damage and terrible sensitivity to it.So Honeydizz- you just lighten up and keep lighting up. You know that smoking lowers your IQ and smokers in general have less education and less intelligence than non-smokers. Pretty obvious by your post.

Paul Therault Apr 23rd, 2002 10:42 PM

Hi Honeydizz,<BR><BR>You do brain surgery in your home?<BR>I presume you do not live in the United States.<BR><BR>Paul

honeydizz Apr 25th, 2002 07:37 AM

Hi agan,<BR><BR>Linda, I am sorry that you had such a rough time and that cig smoke was so bad for you, however, did you not read my post. I don't smoke. But I have about had it with so many people being allergic to everything these days. Haven't you noticed how so many are talking about their terrible allergy to smoke and grass and dogs and (worst of all) lactose. My experience is that most people's allergies are in their minds. Now I realize that allergies do exist, but I have on many occasions noted people who don't have problems when they don't know about something, but get bananas when they do. For example, a friend was lactose intollerant- oh terrible, but if he ate something that didn't appear to have cheese or whatever in it he'd be fine. It was only if you mentioned afterward that, oh say there was riccotta in the lasagna that he'd be in terrible shape. I have seen this happen with people who were "allergic" to chocolate, perfume, nuts, strawberries on an on. I think the same is true of people who get sea sick, a great deal of the time. I also think that this is true of all this sensitivity to smoke. Do people really have documented medical opinion on this? Did they go to a doctor who blew smoke at them and then said, "Oh yes your allergic"? Two friends of mine always complained about smoke and their sensitivity, but bring out the marijuana and they were toking away. Apparently they were only allergic to tobacco smoke-- gimme a break. My post was aimed at all this allergy nonsense, and all the fears and concerns people have about everything these days. I still believe most of it is in people's minds. For crying out loud last night I heard a blurb about french fries causing cancer-- will it never end. How did I (or anyone) survive through childhood. Lordy, the smoke I inhaled from day one!! Everyone smoked all over the place when I was kid. Maybe that is why I am not sensitive to it, in fact I have always liked the smell! That may seem a bit nuts, but hey what can I say? <BR><BR>I don't know from whence your stats about education and intelligence come, but I am not sure such a blanket statement makes sense.<BR><BR>OK people smoke and will probably go on smoking forever. At least they aren't molesting your children,like members of the clery, breaking into your house, flying airplanes into buildings in the name of God, or running off with your life savings,like Mr. Lay. You tell me to lighten up. I am not so sure I shouldn't, but I don't think I am the only one who is a little uptight.

Mother Apr 25th, 2002 08:00 AM

My grown daughter recently had allergy tests and found out she is severely allergic to cigarette smoke. The site where she was injected with the irritant really swelled up. She has always complained of headaches when she was around smokers, but I just chalked that up to the fact that she doesn't smoke. I feel just awful, because for the first 20 years of her life, I smoked--a lot!!