Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Why is Alaska cruises so hot? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/why-is-alaska-cruises-so-hot-653809/)

Ziana Oct 19th, 2006 08:21 AM

Why is Alaska cruises so hot?

I just read this comment that Alaska cruises are sold out and waiting list was generated. Someone who went and can compare Alaska to other cruises, please, tell why is it so hot? What is different and what cruise line best from East Coast. Thanks

sallylouise Oct 19th, 2006 12:29 PM

Alaska cruises do not sail from the East cost. They sail out of Alaska ports, Seattle or Vancouver.
Alaska is beautiful! Just look at photos and you can see why one would want to visit.
The season is short and only a certain number of ships are allowed in some areas [ Glacier Bay].
I doubt ALL cruises are sold out at this point for 2007. I have seen several still offered as I am pricing for next season.
Good luck! Hope you decide to go. We will be taking our second trip.

Theresa Oct 19th, 2006 05:10 PM

Alaska is breath taking! One doesn't usually say that about the Caribbean. Given the Caribbean or Alaska - Alaska will always be my first choice!

Ziana Oct 20th, 2006 08:33 AM

Bermuda was brethtaking for me...I think I am that 'other' type. Thanks

BudgetQueen Oct 21st, 2006 05:33 AM

Alaska sailing is very scenic unlike most other areas which are open ocean. Actually I now get kind of bored on sea days. Also every Alaska port is very worthwhile. Many Caribbean have a throw in crappy port that isn't even worth getting off the ship for. Not so with Alaska. I've also been to Bermuda- definately a beautiful trip, but Alaska is superior for me. :) 45 cruises with 13 to Alaska. :)

jacketwatch Oct 21st, 2006 03:34 PM

BQ: As a well seasoned Alaska traveler do you have a favorite port, site or excursion?

BudgetQueen Oct 22nd, 2006 04:13 AM

Anywhere in Alaska. :) Flightseeing is my forte. I do give a big edge to one way cruises with Seward, just so many wonderful activites to experience that most people completely miss out just passing through.

Round trip Vancouver sailings pack plenty of wonderful adventures too, don't get discouraged by the "one way" promoters. They offer a great option with limited time. If considering a one way, also strongly consider adding at least another week for interior Alaska touring. It makes no sense for me to be all the way there and not take advantage. :) Do your homework, it will pay off many many times!!!

jacketwatch Oct 22nd, 2006 04:26 AM

Thank you. I do believe thats good advice. :-)

Ziana Oct 24th, 2006 04:01 AM

Flightseeing ?? What is it?

travelinwifey Oct 26th, 2006 09:11 PM

It really is one of the most gorgeous places on earth. I never really looked forward to a cruise of Alaska until I read so many reccommendations to go, and of course all the comments were correct. It is wonderful to see so many animals (bears, humpbacks, orcas, blad eagles, sea otters, etc.) undisturbed in their natural habitat. You can view glaciers on tv but it does not capture the awe inspiring beauty. You see colors of green and blue that you probably have never seen before in the mountains and in the ice.

ParrotMom Oct 27th, 2006 05:46 AM

Alaska in my opinion "is hot'. because most of there cruisers have never had a blizzard, a snow storm or sleet...and don't mind cold.. I'm in the Northeast and it will be a cold day in hell before they get me on a cruise to see ice bergs and ice..lol.. Off the MA coast I can see whales, I can see sea lions... Give me the hot areas..like the D.R. maybe someday whenI'm in a nursing home I might let somebody take me.. but for now..give me heat.. or give me Europe..but never, never Alaska.. not yet..there is a whole world out there.. and it's last on my list..lol

Ziana Oct 31st, 2006 09:45 AM

ParrotMom I am with you on hot weather vs cold this is why I was so amazed how many people want to go and see...snow?

jacketwatch Oct 31st, 2006 10:08 AM

PM: I do believe you have seen one blizzard too many. :D :D Actually summer in Alaska is pretty OK really. Ketchican was 75 degrees the day we arrived in port. :-)

joan Oct 31st, 2006 10:29 AM

ParrotMom, I felt EXACTLY the same way as you. A Caribbean lover all the way. No sweaters for me!

UNTIL my darling brother begged, pleaded, and cajoled all of us into going on an Alaska cruise as our family reunion one year.

It was unbelievable. For one thing, you see scenery right outside your door, almost close enough to touch, the entire cruise (this was a one way Seward to Vancouver). None of that "is that an island in the very far distance?" stuff. For another, you go to your cabin, let's say it's eleven pm, you're tired, you're going to bed. Well, if you have a balcony, you will not be sleeping, because it is STILL light out, and all that gorgeous stuff is floating by!

It is the one cruise I would do again in a heartbeat.

And travelinwifey is right, the colors are beyond anything you've ever seen. And I know you've been to all those lovely Caribbean spots, as have I. But still, Alaska is a must-see.

Giovanna Nov 1st, 2006 06:55 AM

I too was a naysayer. Alaska was about 101st on my list of 1-10 places I wanted to see. A friend talked us into going because the ship was leaving from San Fracisco (a homeport for us) so we went.

I'm also now a believer. It was a terrific cruise, loved the ports (Sitka, Juneau and Skagway--Tracy Arm Fjord was like being in a different world). Excellent whale watch in Juneau and the White Pass & Yukon train trip out of Skagway was great. The scenery is jaw dropping, and while we have enjoyed cruises in the Caribbean and Mexico, as well as Bermuda which we particularly enjoyed, don't skip Alaska because you're afraid it'll be cold! You'll be missing so much that nature has to offer.

Ziana Nov 1st, 2006 10:47 AM

What time of the year is warm there? How about getting there? Any time really bad seas?

jacketwatch Nov 1st, 2006 11:20 AM

Generally the summer is pretty nice. a friend of mine went there on the last crusie of the season, late of mid Sept. and it got pretty nippy at times. Here is a link to a world weather site.
http://www.worldweather.org/index.htm

joan Nov 1st, 2006 11:29 AM

Ziana, getting there can get pretty expensive, especially on the one way. That's why one excellent poster here, BudgetQueen, an expert on Alaska, always recommends adding more time - like an extra week on land. If you're going that far, might as well see as much as you can (I feel that way about travel to Hawaii from the East Coast).

We went June 1st - cruise prices change every few weeks, with highest prices in mid summer. It was really just sweatshirt weather except for the day in Glacier National Park (at at-sea day where they spend the day rotating the ship while you watch glaciers calve!), which was hats and gloves cold. But that lovely hot chocolate and wool blanket they give you on the Promenade Deck makes it all worthwhile (or the warmth of your balcony cabin).

From what I understand, the Inside Passage always has calm summer seas, because it is not open water, but protected. Our cruise was very calm.

ParrotMom Nov 1st, 2006 01:38 PM

There is no doubt that with a balcony or a large window I can still fall asleep at the drop of a hat.. Believe it or not we have not been to that many ports in the Caribbean... Rght now I'm stuck on cruising Europe and the next big cruise after 2007 will be South America.. Yes, I've seen one too many blizzards, the snow blower was replaced last year and is ready to go.. the rock salt is by my new back door and my winter clothes ae almost out..even the hats and gloves. Maybe...just maybe one day..but Europe and South American first..

jacketwatch Nov 1st, 2006 01:52 PM

PM: Thats sounds promising. I was a beach abd tropics lover all my life but I must say Alaska is so worth going to. We are considering another trip one day. :-)