Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > "Which Trip Cancellation" - Princess or independent?

"Which Trip Cancellation" - Princess or independent?

Dec 27th, 2001, 04:52 AM
elaine

"Which Trip Cancellation" - Princess or independent?

My husband and I have final payment due on a Princess cruise in a few days. We always buy insurance through Travel Guard or Travel Safe. However, friends who had Princess insurance (through the cruise line), fared better post-9/11 (vs independent carriers). We are more interested in fine print vs. cost of insurance, regarding any 'unforeseen' trip cancellation. Can seasoned cruisers who are familiar, please reply? Thanks in advance!

Dec 27th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Jerry

I use Princess insurance since i am concerned about evacuation insurance
and cancellation. Negative of Princess is lack of a paying for pre-existing conditions clause. They do offer 75% or 90% credit on future cruise depending on which policy you buy. These is suitable if you are worried about cancellation for any not covered
reason. Had occasion to use policy in Sept 2001 due to death in family 4 days before cruise. Berkley Insurance paid up promptly upon submission of proper documents.

Dec 27th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Rainy

One of the big benefits of booking with a carrier other than the vendors is the cruise line's insurance won't cover for default. Princess is stable enough - but when American Hawaii went under all the people with the cruise line's insurance were out of luck!

Dec 27th, 2001, 03:19 PM
elaine

Thanks for your replies. I am waiting to read Princess' policy. Having always purchased third party insurance, I was surprised to learn many cruiselines revised their trip cancellation insurance and a pax reason following the tragedy of 9/11.
At time of final payment, we are fortunate not to have any pre-existing condition(s). We booked our own air, and are spending 2 days precruise. Princess appears stable (at least for the next 60 days).
We are leaning towards buying Princess insurance.
Jerry: thanks for the mention of evacuation as well as cancellation insurance. I would rather lose 25% with the balance going toward a future cruise, should there be a need to cancel.

Dec 27th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Paul Therault

FYI: Keep in mind pre-existing condition coverage also includes mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, uncles, aunts, neices, nephews and cousins.

Paul

Search this Thread