Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Which Ship for 7 day Mexican Riviera (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/which-ship-for-7-day-mexican-riviera-658223/)

debusa Nov 11th, 2006 04:10 PM

Which Ship for 7 day Mexican Riviera

We are heading down in May of 08, and hoped someone had experiences, good or bad, that could help us decide on the Cruise Line and Ship for a fun time for the 50something gals to take. Thanks so much.

sceneisle Nov 12th, 2006 07:26 AM

Have cruised the Mexican Riviera five times; sailing with Holland America, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I am also in my 50's and would recommend Holland America's Oosterdam out of San Diego. Having said that, try to avoid Holland America's Statendam or Ryndam, as these ships are getting up there in age. The Princess and Royal Caribbean ships are also a nice fit for us soon to be senior citizens.

debusa Nov 12th, 2006 02:52 PM

Thank you, sceneisle, for your input. Did you have any luck finding great prices, or did you book with HAL? I have been on RCCL,where the beds were very comfy, the food was pretty darn good, but I have nothing to compare it to. We want a mid ship balcony cabin. Any ideas about the ports would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Deb

sceneisle Nov 12th, 2006 07:04 PM

Deb: I book most of my cruises through the VacationsToGo website. They are highly reputable and provide excellent service. Pricewise, they are very competetive, although sometimes not the lowest. IMO, there's not too much difference between HAL, RCL & Princess, for food quality and stateroom size & comfort. The vast majority of 7 night Mexican Riviera cruises stop in Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta; three nice ports for the first-time visitor to Mexico.

travelinwifey Nov 12th, 2006 09:14 PM

Never book through the cruise line direct, you'll be paying hundreds of dollars more vs. going through consolidators. I would suggest also to try pricing through www.cruises-n-more.com and call direct in addition to checking to online prices as sometimes the call in prices are cheaper. You may be able to get "mature traveler" discounts that extend to the person with you even if they aren't 55 or older.

Did the Mexican Riviera on the Diamond Princess and was very happy though I'd suggest the Oosterdam because it is a good ship and the food is a notch above Princess. HAL offers all day ice cream with fixings and juices, Princess does not. HAL also offers some made to order breakfast in the buffet with waffles and such. I agree, I think RCCL's food is not so good anymore, seems like they are cutting costs.

kfusto Nov 13th, 2006 10:10 AM

I would also suggest the Oosterdam. Great cabins and wonderful bedding, not too big and not a lot of passengers. Also, HAL's service is very good and their food quite good as well. I do not feel as nickel and dimed onboard their ships.

Coffee is very good without having to "buy" the good stuff (though you can buy fancy stuff), buffet quality is very good with Indonesian specialties daily. Also, you can get a full breakfast in your cabin or on your balcony, not an option on Princess.

HAL is more traditional and formal than most lines these days and that gives them bonus points in my book. Lots of small touches that enhance the experience IMO.

I will be on the OS in 4 months myself and am looking forward to it.