Which HAL cabin??

Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Which HAL cabin??

We've never cruised with HAL. We're considering a 34 day cruise around S. America on the Veendam. The cabins look very small and cramped compared to Oceania which is the cruise line we usually travel with. So my question is.... What is the Ocean view cabin like? They say its a porthole in the front of the ship. Its 188 sq/ft/ Would that be rough if the sea were rough? The Lanai cabins have a sliding glass door out to a public deck. That doesn't sound like we'd have any privacy and it would risk someone entering our cabin if we forgot to lock the door. That cabin has only 181 sq/ft. I"d like some feedback about experiences with long cruises on HAL and/or on the Veendam. Do they have open or assigned seating at meals? Do they nickle and dime you to death with extra charges? Thanks for any input you might have.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:52 AM

My father was on HAL, and it was the first time he showed excitment after a cruise, usually he doesn't show any emotions.

He said, the service was superb. They had assigned seating, but also there is something like any time dining too.

Don't think there were any extra charges if you don't drink. My cheap father would tell me Only the usualy per person per day tips posted to your account.

They were... on Amsterdam?? going through the Panama canal, inside cabin.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM

If you have not already done so, you might also post your questions on cruisecritic, and look at reviews on cruisecritic that you could respond to and ask questions.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:28 AM

I had a friend who was recently in a cabin on a HAL ship with portholes. She was very unhappy with it. They are high above the bed and do not really give you an oceanview. When the anchor was raised or lowered it was quite noisy...And during rough weather they were closed so there was no outside light.

That all being said, HAL is a great cruise line with absolutely excellent service. They offer both open seating and assigned seating. There are less extra charges than any other ship I've ever been on.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:59 AM

We have been on several HAL Cruises and have been happy with them overall. We had both Ocean view and Superior Verandah staterooms and felt they were roomy, and even had our daughter as a third person in the cabin each time. Port hole cabins are inexpensive and not as desireable. Incidentally we were on the Zuiderdam, Noordam and Stadtendam and probably had a different selection of cabins. Service was good, overall, although we had some problems on our last cruise with embarkation - in Barcelona- with a check person who spoke little English and understood less. The food is average now - it seems to have gone down a notch with each trip. On the last two cruises we had eat anytime dining and we had no problems with it. It does add a degree of flexibility. Extra charges are what you want. If you are thirsty, ike a lot of spa services and special coffees, you will run up a good tab. Likewise with shore excursions. If I were to plan an ocean cruise now, I would prefer HAL.