boston to bermuda in nov/dec with 1 yr old

Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boston to bermuda in nov/dec with 1 yr old

I have never been on a cruise. Since we live in boston, i figured bermuda cruise is a good option since we wont have to fly. I want to go during thanksgiving or christmas and i will have a 3.5 yr old and a 1 yr old. Is it a good idea or should i think of something else.
thanks
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 07:32 AM

Lots of families love cruises. On www.cruisecritic.com, there is a family forum that might give you some good ideas.
For me, there would be a couple of issues: cabins are very small, so it would be close quarters--and it wouldn't be pleasant for me to have to go to bed at the same early hour as the children.
Bermuda isn't tropical, so it wouldn't be beach weather in November/December--and it will be cold on deck as you travel from Boston south.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

thats great info,thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 09:20 AM

We went from NY to Bermuda in June. The weather at sea was awful. I never get sea sick but I sure did this time. I nthink that the chance of storms in Nov-DEec would be pretty high. And I can't imagine a cruise with infants/toddlers. It would be grim. Cabins are small. There are bigger cabins but with gigantic prices. If you really want to cruise with kids, fly and take Disney. T^hey know how to handle kids. BTW are there winter cruises to Bermuda?
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 06:21 PM

One of a number of reasons to take cruises is to get away from winter weather and enjoy lovely days, warm beaches, etc. while doing a bit of sight seeing. So, if you want that in a cruise, avoid those that have days at sea when it would be too cold to use the outdoor pools etc. on the ship or those itineraries that stop at ports that might be too cool to spend time on the beach.

A cruise from Boston in winter is going to have too much cold time at sea and likely not go far enough south for great warm weather at beaches. It would be worth a flight to catch a cruise where all days at sea are likely to be nice. It may be worth getting a flight to Puerto Rico where 7 night cruises go to great Caribbean ports.

As far as the little ones, I personally do not think they are old enough to make the cost of Disney worth while for you. Some other lines have excellent kids' programs. Last spring, we took our not yet five year old GD on NCL Epic. The children's program was wonderful. Little ones could stay quite late so adults could have dinner and enjoy a show. You could also hire a private sitter, but our GD loved the kids area. Check out the different ship's kids's programs on cruisecritic and cabin sizes. Cabins on Epic were tight.

I do think a cruise is a fine way to travel with little ones. My DD and GD really loved it so much, they both want to go again. Just pick carefully the ship, cabin, itinerary and best place for the time of year you are going.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 10:17 PM

Dear reb77 - don't go to this goddamn pink Bermuda
Check the Boston to Caribbean deals. Bermuda is expensive and way overrated. Plus, they're all driving on the wrong side of the road LOL

Caribbean is so cheap and diverse (much more ports of call). Holland America and NCL ships offer regular sailings from Boston. The thanksgiving-Xmas timing though is bad for Boston departures - none. If you gotta do the cruise in Nov-Dec, I guess Bermuda will be the promised land
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 04:35 PM

Don't believe there are any cruises from Boston to Bermuda in November… I believe they stop in October…the seas would be much too rough.