Which cruise line to pick?

Oct 4th, 2000, 08:20 AM
marilyn

Which cruise line to pick?

My husband and I have been on two Princess cruises. We are interested in changing to another line for our next cruise. The Princess line had good and bad points- We liked the size of our room, and the fact that we had a safe in the room. The service was very good. However, the ship was too big. We started to resent standing in line for everything. My husband is interested in a cruise with people more our age (we are in our 40's), and on a smaller ship. I liked the tours because they were not too long (generally 1/2 day) and were good quality. However, we were in a mob of people, everywhere we went. Can anyone suggest another cruise line for us?

Oct 4th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Marilyn,

I am a travel agent and have sailed 64 times.

If you absolutely wish to never stand in line you will have to chose the upscale cruise lines such as Seabourn, Crystal, Cunard, Radisson, Silversea. Of course the cruise is the price of a small automobile.

It is not the size of the ships that creates lines. It is the times i.e. waiting to get into the dining room. Just go 10 minutes later.

If the ship does not dock and you must tender, this will always create a line. Lines will be longer when you return to the ship. Do not wait until the last hour ashore.

The production shows in the dining room will create lines. To get a good seat you will have to wait. I do not have a solution here.

Travel agents have information on "space ratio." This is the amount of public area per passenger.

If you wish to upgrade one step you should cruise either Holland America or Celebrity. You may feel the difference.

Happy planning,

Paul

Oct 5th, 2000, 05:42 AM
elaine

marilyn,

You may want to consider Windstar.

Oct 5th, 2000, 10:26 PM
Paul Therault

Your right Elaine, Windstar is a choice but it is not in the cruise ship category. It is a sailing vessel and it is very upscale (except for the dress). The entertainment is on a lower scale and the public rooms are small.

Good choice though. There are not very many smaller ships left to choose from.

Paul

Oct 6th, 2000, 07:28 PM
sandy

I like small ships, and it's not just because of the long lines -- although I HATE long lines! I like the ambience on a smaller ship, and the way you get to know people. We were on the RSSC Paul Gaguin this past summer and it was wonderful! We met the nicest people and will probably be friends with them for life. Of course, Tahiti wasn't too bad either. Have also been on the Radisson Diamond. They're not as expensive as they look when you consider that there's no tipping, wine is included with your dinner (and very good wine at that), they stock your mini bar with all kinds of soft drinks and bottled water at no charge, they put liquor in your room for free, the airfares are fantastic, and the cabins are gorgeous!

We have also sailed on the Star Clippers. These are sailing cruise ships and are a lot of fun (not to be confused with the Windjammers). You meet very interesting people on these ships and they are very beautiful. Very reasonably priced.

Another ship you might want to think about is the Marco Polo (but only in a Cat. B). This is an older ship, carries only 848 passengers, and is very reasonably priced. The tours and enrichment program are weill-regarded. This is an excellent cruise value.

I am in complete sympathy with your husband. I wouldn't go on a one of those big Princess ships if you paid me!

Oct 10th, 2000, 07:19 AM
Marcie

I think Holland America would be a perfect ship for you. The size is just right. We never encountered any lines. If you want to go even more upscale, I'd look into Radisson. Good Luck.