Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Which cruise line should we take for a trip to Alaska with children??

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading the posts and am getting the impression that there aren't many children on the cruises to Alaska. Is this correct? We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Alaska (6 days land/7 day cruise) and I am wondering which cruise line(s) is(are) best for children (aged 4, 10 & 11)? Ideally we would like to take a southbound cruise.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM

we've been with Royal Caribbean twice to Alaska--totally recommend it! There are lots of activities for the kids & sort of like a day-camp. You can drop them off /pick up whenever. You can't go wrong!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 02:36 AM

Not Princess - we went Southbound Whittier-Vancouver last June and saw very few kids, some of whom were whining that they were bored.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Is the food good on Royal Caribbean?

Do they have educational programs on Alaska for the older children?

How about their day trips?

Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

We are going to book our cruise on Royal Caribbean as it looks like they do a great job in catering to children. Thanks Sammyc for heading me in that direction.

A couple of questions:

* I noticed that they have 2 "dress up" nights-- how dressed up do we have to be? Does my husband/children have to wear a jacket?? Can I get away w/ a nice skirt or even nice jeans w/ a fancy top? We are going to spend a second week exploring other parts of Alaska and would love NOT to have to pack any dressy clothes since we wouldn't use them elsewhere (and the airlines now charge for practically every article of clothing). Also are these dress up nights done when we are in port? We may well chose to eat in the port instead if this is the case...

* Which excursions should we be sure not to miss? My boys are well behaved (most of the time at least) and love adventures.

Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 05:42 AM

Just some info on formal nights...first, they are always when the ship is at sea. Kids can get away with less dressy or formal attire, but jeans for you would not be appropriate, even with a very dressy top. Having been to Alaska, the Mexican Riviera and the Carribean, the attire on my Alaska cruise was definitely the most dressy on formal nights. Your husband will need at least a shirt and tie and you could get by with a skirt and dressy top, but most passengers will be pretty dressed up. You are going to absolutely love Alaska, so far it's been my favorite cruise! Hope this helps a little bit. Have a great time!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight... hubby will definitely bring jacket/tie (but not his tux), I'll bring a cocktail dress (and a sweater!), and if we have enough room in our luggage, we'll figure out if the boys will bring their jackets/ties (boys will be bummed about this! they wear a jacket and tie to school and love the fact that during the summer they don't have to be "dressed&quot.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:14 AM

No there are no where near the number of kids sailing Alaska compared to the Caribbean, but there will be some. Frankly, Planning Alaska around the "kids" would not be my priority. Determine what and why you are going to Alaska?? Many people go for what is outside the ship, ports, touring, scenic sailing- route/glacier. It's a costly trip.

Kids will have a great time no matter what you choose, involve them in the planning is the key. Give them jobs and be certain to get their touring input, making assumptions may surprise you.