Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Which cruise line for family with tween/teen boys?

Which cruise line for family with tween/teen boys?

Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Which cruise line for family with tween/teen boys?

I've been reading a lot of posts and looking into various cruise lines. I'm still at a loss re: what to do. We're thinking of taking our first cruise next spring or summer. I can't say that we're into things like hairy chest contests and the like, but we also don't want something that's stuffy and not fun for our boys. Isn't there a classy but fun option for a family like ours? Also, it seems to me that the shorter trips use the older, rundown ships. Is there a happy medium there as well?
Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM

I would look into one of the newer, larger RCCL ships.

Go for a full 7 nights. Anything less isn't worth the trip to catch the ship. You barely get on before you have to get off.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:01 AM

RCI's Voyager or Freedom class is a perfect choice for families. Nice ships and lots of dining and activity options.

Enchantment is an older ship redone recently that offers shorter cruises. I was aboard for a few hours in March. She is looking better than the other weekend ships, IMO, and might not be a bad choice. But, nowhere near as nice as the newer and larger ships.
Jun 24th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

What about NCL? Anyone have a comment about their family friendliness?
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:42 AM

The newest NCL ships have good facilities for teens & younger kids. For instance, Norwegian Pearl has a rock climbing wall and bowling alley.

My choices would be the RCI ships already mentioned, the newer Carnival ships with teen clubs, and NCL.

For shorter cruises, look for a newer ship as well--RCI is probably the best in terms of classy. Enchantment of the Seas is the best, IMO.

Linda
---
Cruise Diva & Author of Fodor's The Complete Guide to Caribbean Cruises
http://cruisediva.com
"The world's best islands are the ones that float and move. They're called cruise ships."

Search this Thread