Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Which cruise for December with a 3 year old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking for a cruise (10 to 12 nights) in the Caribbean with our 3 year old daughter. We live in NYC. Ideally, we'd like to take Norwegian from NYC (to avoid having to fly), but it looks like they're rated lower than other cruises (only 4 and a half stars when others are five or six) and I'm not sure if my daughter will like it (lack of kids' activities compared to Disney or Carnival).

Which cruise line do you suggest?

Also, which of the western, eastern or southern Caribbean do you consider a better choice in December, considering the weather?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:24 AM

The freestyle dining would probably be a better option for you and NCL has a separate kids buffet. Western Caribbean is always my choice, I've been all routes. I've taken the Dawn and it's a wonderful ship, I'll be on it again in a couple weeks. Unless you are going Christmas week don't expect a lot of kids on any line. You may also want to look at cruiselines that have sitters as a 3 year old can be very unpredictable in their behavior (even though some parents don't think so ) This would allow you to get to some shows, late nights etc.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I'm sorry but "I'm not sure my daughter will like it" leads me to wonder just who is the grown-up and who is paying for this trip. If you think she's going to get anything out of this vacation, you are wrong I fear. If you are doing it because it's something you and hubby 'want' to do, then suggest you ask self do you 'need' to do it.
If you are set on taking a cruise, take Disney's big red boat. It may not have as many bells and whistles as more upmarket ships do but at least it caters to little ones.
Remember, many people on the nicer ships don't want little kids running amock and creating a fuss and I am sure you don't want to spend the entire trip in your cabin.
Have you investigated Club Med? Several of their properties go out of their way to take care of little ones while the adults do 'their own thing.'
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Definitely Disney! Family friendly but still nice.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:36 AM

My first choice, too, would be Disney, but I wouldn't count out a new ship on Carnival. Royal Caribbean and Princess would be choices, too. In December the weather should be calm, so look at itineraries for the length of time you want. I might choose a 10 day Southern Caribbean on Princess.