Which credit card for most benefits?

Apr 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Which credit card for most benefits?

Hi, we are preparing to spend about $25K on a family cruise. This includes airfare, excursions, hotels, food, etc. Any thoughts on a specific credit card to maximise the best bang for our buck...We are open to to applying for a new card as well...Thanks in advance!
Apr 26th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Well what do you want? Air miles, cash back, etc? If you were to get a new miles card chances are you can get up to 30k miles for it and if you can get a 25k limit and charge all that then you basically have free airfare R/T to Europe. What is your preference?
Apr 27th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...another thought...I do not know which I prefer...that being said, do the miles equate equally to the dollars from cash back? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Apr 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Not really. some cards give you say a yearly 1% cash back total I think. Some others like my Chase Freedom card give at times up to 5% off for certain purchases in a given quarter so it depends. Miles accumulate at the rate of usually 1 mi. per dollar charged though start up bonuses can be significant but there are often yearly fees to consider. Sometimes you get 2 for 1 mile specials. I just got an offer for 1000 bonus miles for spending $50.00 at certain restaurants so it all varies. For us we use the miles cards for everything, even a cup of coffee at Caribou and things do add up this way. For us we do like the miles and it has saved a lot of money. A few yrs. ago we (three of us ) flew free to Europe in the summer so that was about a 3 k savings. We had two free tickets to Hawaii one yr. so that saved about $1800.00 and in Oct. of 2010 we used the miles for business class to Hong Kong from Chicago so that was a huge savings, I am guessing around at least 10K.

Search this Thread