Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Which Alaska cruise line for kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/which-alaska-cruise-line-for-kids-601498/)

padams421 Mar 22nd, 2006 02:34 PM

Which Alaska cruise line for kids?

We would like to take a cruise to Alaska in summer 2007 with our sons who will be 9 and 11 at the time. Which Alaska cruises are family friendly? We're interested in family friendly excursions and things for the boys to do on the ship besides looking at the scenery (they do like scenery) or reading a book. I've looked at HAL and Princess. Any others we should consider? Any experiences to share?

BudgetQueen Mar 23rd, 2006 04:29 AM

Sorry, but with all the sailing differences possible in Alaska, I am a strong advocate for the choices being adult based. :) All cruiselines have good kids programs and excursions have nothing to do with the cruise line. Kids will have a great time no matter what line they sail with.

You may want to consider making some informed choices that may enhance your trip. If going round trip, I always avoid round trip Seattle, too much open ocean, outside passage sailing. With one way cruises, I never consider them without at least another week for interior touring. It is a long way in time and money not to take advantage. :) With kids, I also would never consider a cruisetour- few if any kids- plus it's the most costly option and far superior is independent.

With your cruise selection- look at- ports, time in ports, glacier, ship naturalist, route, price. Budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them. Plenty choices for everyone in all price ranges, but the better ones usually cost more. :) Look at at least one flight, seeing the vastness from the air is what Alaska is all about.

Understand- wildlife requires tours, cruise brochures are greatly enhanced.

So with those thoughts- my top recommendation is a round trip Vancouver with the best routing being HAL with sails both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Glacier Bay is a definate priority for some. One way- again HAL with Glacier Bay and College Fjords- and Seward. Princess one ways to Whittier- BUT also plan on getting to Seward. :) Not to be missed. :)

juliaelzie Mar 23rd, 2006 06:39 AM

Princess has been doing cruises to Alaska for more than 50 years and really knows the market. They have beautiful ships and kids really enjoy the children/youth programs - parents have to drag kids off to bed at night! There will be shore excursions for children and families in all price ranges. Princess has the casual dining option and the buffet or grill or room service, too.

Princess uses Whittier as their Alaska port, which is closer to Anchorage than Seward. I would recommend a southbound cruise from Alaska to Vancouver. Arrive a few days early in Alaska, rent a car in Anchorage and drive to Fairbanks, spend a couple of days. Then, drive to Denali National Park and Mt. McKinley. It is more family-friendly than a cruisetour and entirely possible independently - I did this trip first as a teenager with my mother in 1985. It is easier to do a tour, but it is possible to use the tour itinerary on a independent trip.

Best Regards,
Julia

BudgetQueen Mar 23rd, 2006 09:35 AM

You need more than a "few days" if you want to drive back and forth to Fairbanks- plus spend some time there, as well as include Denali Park- I'm not sure what the McKinley referece is above, but if considering flightseeing - most options are out of Talkeetna.

Time is a big factor that people traveling Alaska frequently make mistakes with. More is better. Also consider using www.toursaver.com for some significant savings.

SuQue Mar 23rd, 2006 11:27 AM

There were many children onboard our Lindblad cruise in SE Alaska, all part of a 50th anniversary trip for the whole family. We hope to do this ourselves someday with our family as the naturalists are terrific, kayaking, hiking, etc. LIndblad has Family trips on their calendars.