Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Where to stay in Vancouver, Seward & Anchorage (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/where-to-stay-in-vancouver-seward-and-anchorage-260484/)

Heide Sep 23rd, 2002 07:30 PM

Where to stay in Vancouver, Seward & Anchorage

We are booked on a northbound Gulf of Alaska cruise next August. We are planning to tack on a few days before and after the cruise and now need to book hotels in Vancouver, Seward and Anchorage. My husband and I will be traveling with our two boys, ages 9 and 13. We are more concerned with having large, comfortable beds and some extra room rather than first class service, although a breakfast buffet would be nice. Any suggestions?

Paul Therault Sep 23rd, 2002 10:51 PM

Hi Heide,<BR><BR>Never found enough to do in Anchorage to warrant a stay. In Seward we never varied from the Edgewater. It is directly on Resurrection Bay across from the new Sealife Center. They have complimentary transportation to the small boat marina, tourist area and ship. Definitely worth the extra money. The mountain views are spectacular and you can book excursions directly from the hotel.<BR><BR>In Vancouver we stayed at both the Fairmont Waterfront and the Pan Pacific, both at Canada Place, next to the pier within walking distance of Gastown & Chinatown. We found the Pan Pacific a tad better of the two.<BR><BR>Paul

Heide Sep 26th, 2002 07:39 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, Paul. I'm wondering if we should re-think the stay in Anchorage. As of right now, we're planning on spending three nights post-cruise in Seward, then hopefully renting a car and driving to Anchorage for two nights and then leaving the next day (or night, actually) at around midnight. Could you suggest an alternative after our stay in Seward?

Paul Therault Sep 26th, 2002 11:25 PM

Hi Heide,<BR><BR>First plan to spend some time stopping along the Seward highway which is certainly one of the most beautiful in America. Stop and pan for gold at the Crow Creek Mine. Visit the administration building at Portage Glacier and pet a few glacier worms. Also in the bay outside the building you will see an assortment of beautiful blue glacier pieces up close. You may also visit the Byron Glacier if you aren't all galciered out. The view up the mountain to the glacier is spectacular.<BR><BR>In Anchorage you can visit the relatively new Museum of Art and History which traces thousands of years of Alaska discovery and growth. Also of interest, the history of the 1964 earthquake. Earthquake Park is where 75 homes slid into the inlet. Go there. The Alaska Public Lands Information Center has interesting views into Alaskan wildlife, geology and history.<BR><BR>Across form the Anchorage International Airport is Lake Hood where you can charter a sightseeing plane to Denali or Mt. McKinley or maybe take a float plane to some remote lake. If you wish to keep your feet on the ground you can wander around the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum where they have quite a few vintage airplanes. Also films are shown in the theatre and on the second floor is an exibit on Alaska's Aleutan Islands which were attacked by the Japanese in WW2.<BR><BR>There is a science discovery center called Imaginarium that has an intersting exhibit about the Aurora Borealis.<BR><BR>I guess you can go to the Alaska Zoo where you will finally see some bears.<BR><BR>So, as in any large city, you will find things to do, albeit not that spectacular.<BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Paul

Linda Nov 3rd, 2002 08:43 AM

Heidi, hello<BR><BR>We are booked on a southbound cruise, the Dawn, on July 7th. Planned an extensive sightseeing adventure for the nine days preceding the cruise. <BR><BR>I read everything, spent hours on the internet and agree that the Edgewater in Seward appears to be the BEST. Also picked Denali River Cabins for that area and Land's End for Homer. Captain Bartlett's Inn in Fairbanks because we're arriving late in the evening and the $200 a night at other hotels seemed unnecessary. (Still wondering if that's okay though.) <BR><BR>In lieu of Anchorage, we're staying at Lake Lucille Inn in Wasilla on our way down from Denali to Seward. It appears beautiful, cheap, and allows us NOT to do the city thing. <BR><BR>Vancouver is still a puzzle and I think i posted my question in the wrong place (under Princess). If your responders will please check out my question, I'd appreciate that. Need info on what to do for 10 hours between ship arrival and flight, in Vancouver.<BR><BR>Good luck with your choices, Heidi. Frankly, June/July can't get here fast enough!